Chapter Five

You sat on the floor of the bathroom, staring at the wall. Normally, this was not at all how a librarian conducted business. But it was better than being hit on. As soon as you saw Alfred entering the library, you near bolted to the bathroom and told a co-worker to knock three times when he was gone.

Your mind couldn't focus on the words, fear growing with every sentence.

What was up with this guy? Was he a serial killer or something, because no other man in your life had been so scarily persistent, especially after you even hinted you didn't like them.

Two days though and already he was coming back.

Finally, someone knocked on the door three times, and you swung the door open, eager to leave.

It wasn't your coworker. It was a small child, and standing several feet away was Matthew Williams with his back turned to you.

***

America looked around the room. You weren't there.

"Hey!" he said to another employee, "Is F/N L/N here today?"

She looked at him and smiled weirdly.

"No, she's not here today. I'm sorry," she said, "I could leave a message though."

"Oh... Well, when will she be in?" he asked.

It looked for a second like the employee had not anticipated this kind of a question before she smiled and said, "Oh, um... I'm not sure. Maybe tomorrow, but probably not. Actually, I think she's on vacation."

"Really, for how long?" he asked.

"Um... I'm sorry, ma'am. Alfred," said Canada, "Don't ask that. That's... weird."

"There's nothing weird about it!" said America, "I wanna see her, so I'm trying to find out when I can see her next. What's weird about that?"

Canada blushed and mumbled something America couldn't understand.

Whatever. He needed to get to the bottom of things so he could see you and win over your darling confessions and attentions. You were really becoming quite the puzzle. There was so much about you he didn't know, that seemed odd, and he wanted to find out all about it, all about you.

"I really don't know," she said finally, shrugging and turning to go in the back.

"Crap," muttered America.

Maybe someone else knows.

"I'm gonna go ask another employee," said America, heading off to another part of the library, "You can browse or whatever you like to do when you're here."

***

Canada shoved his books into the book return and turned around to see you coming out of the bathroom and quickly rushing behind a stack of books. That was odd.

Slowly and inconspicuously, he walked over to where you were standing, glancing to make sure America was busy in his conversation with another of your coworkers, who was receiving awkward signals from the earlier mentioned one.

He walked over to see you crouching behind a shelf of books. You startled as you saw him, a fearful looking coming into your eyes before they relaxed.

"Hey," he said, sitting beside you, "What are you doing back here?"

"Oh," you said softly, letting your tongue slide between you teeth for a second, "Not much. You know just... organizing the books."

You then turned around and started shuffling books on their shelves.

"That's really devoted of you," said Canada.