Chapter Five: The Training

The peacekeeper is still unconscious when I open the door to the closet. As soon as it closes, I begin tearing the clothing off my body, removing all of the armor.

It took me an hour to get back inside the building and, at this rate, another half hour to make it up to my room. People are going to be awake when I get upstairs.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Once I'm left in my tank top and leggings, I grab my boots from the corner of the room where I left them and shrug them on, quickly tying them. I also take this opportunity to tuck away the now-sparkling ceramic knife.

I straighten up and turn back to the door. I open it a crack and, when a group of peacekeepers passes by, dart back out into the hallway.

|||

"Kai!" I'm still trying to steady my frantic breathing when the elevator doors open. Orange gives me a disapproving glare. "Where in the world have you bee-"

"I went up to the roof." I cut her off calmly and stride into the living room quickly, walking through it. I need to shower and change. "Sor-"

"I thought you checked the roof." Orange speaks just as I pass her, turning to Finnick.

Shit. I thought that that excuse would work.

I don't stop walking, although I turn to give Finnick a clear warning look. We look at each other briefly.

Finally, after a moment of slight deliberation, he shrugs. "Maybe I missed her."

"You must have." I call over my shoulder, dropping my head, and disappear into the hallway. As soon as I do, I rush towards my room and open the door, not relaxing until it's locked behind me.

I head towards the shower. I need to wash myself; I feel sweaty, dirty, and I'm sure that there's a drop of blood on me somewhere.

I slide open the door to the bathroom and go stiff at what greets me.

On the counter, on top of a folded piece of paper, is a small, recently picked white rose. It takes me a long moment before I step over to it and pick up the paper, unfolding it.

Be in your room at seven tonight. We have much to discuss, Viper.

- S

A satisfied smirk makes its way onto my face. Everything's falling into place.

|||

"You have three days to train and learn new skills, which will be done in this room." An imposing looking woman drones on, her eyes traveling over all of us.

I ignore her, glancing down to see James watching the teacher earnestly. I'm interested to see how he does. Maybe being small will allow him to climb quickly and be nimble - or maybe he's just too young to make an impact.

I'm not going to crowd him today, but my eyes will definitely be peeled. In fact, my plan for the day is to blend in. Maybe hit some survival stations - braid some rope, make fire - but not get noticed.

I need to meet Snow before I make any moves.

The woman stops talking and I look up as she turns and walks to one of the stations. There is a moment of awkward silence before people begin moving, heading to certain stations.

"Do you want to do this together?" James asks me quietly, looking up.

I look down at him for a moment. Finally, my lips purse. "No. Try to make alliances. Don't cling to me or you'll seem weak."