Chapter Twenty-eight: The Structure

"Tell me that you don't always wear things like that. You have such a fun color palette to work with." Jewel says as I duck out from the small overhanging that I ducked into. We both just changed into District four attire, something that was very easy to do seeing as how we didn't have to jump off of the train we boarded to get back to this district.

I'm wearing black leggings and a moderately long blue sweater that is thick and knitted, something that will keep me warm as the weather gets colder. We got back just as the sun set and, in Four, that will bring a chill around the area. I took off the wig that I have been wearing for the past two days and now, as my eyes scan Jewel, my hands come up and undo the still tight braids that keep my natural hair attached to my scalp.

"I am lazy and want to be comfortable. We'll have to get you some new clothing, given that you are tiny." I packed a smallish skirt for her and a white blouse but, on her, the skirt nearly reached her ankles. Jewel may be older than me, but she is a petite woman. I'll have to take her to our marketplace and get her some actual clothing so she will fit in here if she's going to stay.

"Don't you dare start with the height jokes again." She lets out a small groan as we walk forwards.

The braids fully leave my hand and I run my hands through my loosened hair, brushing some of the knots out before moving my head downwards and grabbing it, lifting my head up and tying it into a loose bun. I glance over to Jewel as I do, only to notice that her eyes are on our surroundings.

I look up and resist the urge to sigh. We have to walk through the marketplace to get to Victor's Village and, unlike when we left, the market isn't empty right now. People are there, rushing to get the last little thing that they need for dinner or just getting out of work and walking through it, and it is only a matter of time before one of them recognizes me and says something; I doubt that I will be received well here.

I want to grab Jewel's hand and speed walk through this area, but I doubt solely because of the wonder on her face. "You have a market too!"

"We walked through this on our wa-"

"On my god, bread. Can we - do you have money?" She turns to me as we actually enter the marketplace, passing the two peacekeepers at the entrance. I see their heads turn and look at me as I walk by them but ignore them and instead look at Jewel.

My voice exits me softly. "It's not really money that's the issue."

She frowns. "What is?"

"People won't serve me here." I say. My eyes leave her and I force myself to truly look around the marketplace. No one has acknowledged me yet, but there is only a matter of time. This is - this is my worst nightmare, honestly.

Jewel exhales slightly. She doesn't say anything for a few moments as we walk further into the town plaza, but I can sense the understanding wafting off of her. There is also some disappointment, and I realize that I don't really have any food back at my house to offer her. She'll end up coming back here herself tonight probably, not satisfied with the salted fish in my backyard or the slightly old berries that I still have.

I look down at the duffel bag and open the side of it, taking out a few coins. I look over to Jewel as I do, holding them out to her. "Here, you go alone."

"No, I don-"

"I don't really have anything for us to eat at my house, so go get some bread and anything else you want now. They'll give you food if it's just you." I hesitate and then send her an easy smile, hiding the nerves that have built up in my chest. "I'll be fine. Go ahead."