Promise Me part 5

Hey! Please vote or comment or become a fan if you like the story! I have not been updating a lot, and i'm sorry. I'm really busy so I still can't guarantee i'll be able to update a lot... I'll try to more if people really like the story. So anyway here it is!

p.s. I'm sorry it's so short!

                                                                         Devyn's P.O.V.

     I woke up to the blare of my alarm clock with scattered memories of a shattered dream. Oh right. We had school today. F**k. I pounded the off button on my alarm and eased myself to a sitting position, yawning.

      I tried to remember my dream. With sudden horror, I realized it had been about Carmella!

      In the dream we had been at the beach, only it was Summer and there were lots of people there. Suddenly all the people just dove into the ocean and disappeared. For some reason Carmella and I kept trying to go with them and disappear too. But it wouldn't work, we'd just get our clothes wet. So we sat back down on the beach.

      I wanted to kiss her but I couldn't, something was wrong. I realized this was exactly where Cherise and I had had our first kiss. Then for some reason, I put my hand on my chest, but I couldn't feel my heart beat. I was heartless.

       I looked up and saw a mermaid sitting on a rock. She was singing beautifully. I got up without looking back at Carmella and waded farther and farther out into the ocean but the water didn't get any deeper. When I got close enough I realized the mermaid looked like Cherise. Suddenly I felt sick. I turned around but Carmella had vanished into the waves.

       I rested my head on my hand exhaustedly. I was always having the weirdest dreams. Why, oh why, had I had a dream about Carmella?! Did that mean I liked her? I couldn't let myself like her. Because I knew, when she needed me to, I couldn't love her. I couldn't love anyone. And Carmella deserved so much more than that. Than me.

       I scrambled up and out of bed to the bathroom. I took a lightning-fast shower, then toweled off my hair hurriedly. I picked up a clean aqua blue t-shirt off the floor and grabbed a pair of jeans from my dresser.

      I threw on the clothes absentmindedly. For some reason my thoughts kept straying back to last night's dream. Unfortunately, I could not forget it. It just kept replaying, I kept seeing the ocean breeze tossing Carmella's hair, the way the water made her clothes a little bit see-through. I know, I know. I sound like a creepy perv. But I really can't help it, being a 15 year old boy and all. I knew that that part of the dream would never come true. For Carmella's sake, I wouldn't let it happen.

         I wandered into the kitchen. My older sister was in there, using the home phone. Mom had taken her cell phone after she got into a fistfight with her school's bully. Yup, that's Daniella for you. Now she hogs the home phone all the time. She's actually a pretty cool sister, when she's not being uncool.

"Can you make me some waffles?" I begged her. Mom was already at work and unfortunately I'm a failure at cooking.

"No way, broseph!" Daniella retorted, a tiny smile playing on the corners of her lips.

"Pleeeaase?!"

"Ok, but you gotta get down on your knees and beg!" Daniella commanded. I take back the thing about her being cool. I sighed and dropped to the floor.

"Please, my dear beloved scary sister, will you make a waffle for me?" I spouted poetically.

"Yeah, sure," Daniella replied, cracking into a grin. I love it when she loses her cool.

"Thanks," I said.

      While Daniella made the waffles, I grabbed a sweatshirt and my backpack. By the time the food was ready I only had a couple of minutes till the school bus came. I accidentally drenched the waffle in syrup, inhaled it, and swigged the last bit of orange juice left in the carton.

"Bye, Daniella!" I called across the house as I tied the shoelaces of my Nikes.

"Bye, Freakazoid!" I heard faintly from the direction of Daniella's room.

        I ran outside and through the doors of the waiting bus outside. The people who ride the school bus are mostly losers who don't have cars or friends to give them rides, and freshmen like me who are too young to drive. Sometimes I'd worried I'd be mistaken for one of the geeks when i got off the bus with them. I mean, I didn't worry a lot, because I'm not the kind of person who cares that much about my reputation, and geeks can actually be really cool sometimes, but I don't really want to be at the bottom of the social pyramid. When I was with Cherise, I never even had to worry about this. She was the goddess of the school. Striding off the bus with her on my arm, boys glared jealously and girls giggled flirtatiously watching me through their bangs and eyelashes. That still happened, I guess, but I found myself to much fewer stares and envy. Still, I didn't miss it. Frankly, I didn't miss much about Cherise. She'd been sort of just a crush, and then when I had her, I didn't need her.

          I strode down the bus aisle, past the seat Cherise and I always used to share and found a seat beside my friend Will. Cherise was chatting intensely with her friend Jessica, but I could see her looking at me out of the corner of her eyes. I rolled my eyes. When I looked back at her, she was looking at Jessica pointedly, biting her lip anxiously. Right away I felt bad.

       Will and I spent the rest of the bus ride talking easily about basketball. I could usually get into these conversations, but I found myself just spacing out.

       It was the same in class. My math teacher asked me a question I barely heard, and I just blanked out. I almost blurted the first thing I thought of. Good thing I caught myself though. It would have been embarrassing to blurt out "Carmella!" in response to a math problem.

        Things got weird as I walked out of math class. There was Cherise. Standing a few lockers away from mine. Flirting shamelessly with a tall, blond, preppy guy. I recognized him as Chase, the new student who'd transferred here a couple of weeks ago, before Winter break. Cherise was laughing her fake laugh that could totally pass as real to anyone who didn't know her like I did. I heard Chase laughing too, but I couldn't see his face. Cherise hadn't acted like this towards anyone, no matter how attractive or popular, since we broke up. Something had to be up. I hardly noticed that my eyes were as wide as a bush-baby's. Cherise's blue eyes met mine for a second, and the carefully sculpted smile on her face transformed to a complicated smirk. But only a second. Then she walked away, Chase in tow, to her next class.