However, the air is obviously much more intense than previous execution as magicians ignored the fluttering of their official Black Tower capes, intended to focus at the magic prevention circle on the stage. The three criminals not far from them are strictly guarded by the most elite knights. Black magic prevention charms strapped firmly across their chests, provided by the chief magician himself, as they dragged the criminals forward like dogs.

The first person to taste the angled metal blade is a silver-haired man. The knight next to the device announced the man's crimes as the executioner ready to release his hold on the rope that supported the blade. As the man's neck is secured directly beneath the blade, his golden eyes searched wildly for his heir. His last attempt of survival and his only hope to escape his punishment. The man yelled for his son, begging his only descendant to save him.

The former imperial consort simply turned his back to his father. Shame and embarrassment engulfed him like flames as the crimes are announced loud and clear. Tears brimmed his own golden orbs as the sound of the blade hitting the stocks that held his father's neck. The new Duke Alpheus cried silently as the crowd roared in excitement at the gruesome sight. The once noble name he must carry for the rest of his life now stained with the sin of treason against the imperial family.

Then, the knights dragged a man engulfed in ice up to his neck. Thorny vines wrapped painfully against his body as the knights positioned his neck against the stocks. The older ones in the crowd gasped in recognition of the man's blonde hair and imperial eyes. Painfully reminded of their dark and bloody past during his tyrannical reign. The people didn't lose the chance to curse and spit at the former Emperor. However, the man seethed in rage when he noticed a pair of mocking jeweled eyes hidden underneath a cape. Before he could curse the boy who had reduced him into this pathetic state, the blade fell down and the cheer of the people erupted once more.

"Daddy..."

The female brunette mourned the death of her father as she forgot the fact that she will receive the same end. Her despair was short-lived as the knights pulled her forward. Their face annoyed at her thrashing in their hold.

The former princess searched for Claude, her previous benefactor. Hoping to gain his sympathy for the sake of her own survival. Her murky jeweled eyes locked gazes with the Emperor, tears collecting at the corner of her eyes.

"Father! Please help me, Father! There must be a mistake! I am your daughter! The only rightful heir to the throne! You can't do this to me!"

Claude's eyes betrayed nothing but hatred and resentment at the wench on the stage. She dared to lie to him. She stole his daughter's rightful position, shamelessly making herself comfortable on his daughter's seat. Pretending that she has all the rights on the world to be the heiress to the Empire.

"Ezekiel, honey! Please save me, my love! Please! Don't let me die like this! You know that it wasn't my intention to do all of this!"

Just like with his father, Ezekiel could only turned his eyes away. Even if the feeling of betrayal rooted deep in his chest at Jennette's doings, she still the little girl he treated as his own sister. A rightful wife that he shared his bed with for decades. But just like before, he can't do anything for her. The dirtied ducal name he carried no longer owned any power against the Emperor's decision. In the end, he saved no one but himself.

Claude raised his hand, signaling for the execution to continue. At the approved cue, the blade is released and suddenly, strands of brown hair fell down on the floor. Black mist poured out from her detached neck and as Jennette's head fall into the basket, her blue jeweled eyes turned into a pair of dirty green orbs.

The roar of the crowd shook the square as the former beloved princess's head filled the basket. Some of the people collapsed on their knees, crying tears of joy as the justice for their lost princess finally served.

Emrys quickly supported the lady from the fruit store when she herself falls on the ground. Muttering the name of the first princess as tears flowed freely from her old eyes.

"Princess Athanasia...please rest in peace. The true criminals that pushed you to your demise are finally served their punishments. Please... please forgive this ungrateful subject of yours for blaming your innocent soul. Please...don't hate this Empire for blaming you for something you never did."

The black-haired teenager remained silent, quietly supporting the woman until her husband took her away. His own eyes teary as he thanked the youth for helping his wife.

As the backs of the two elderly disappeared from his view, Emrys turned to look at the Emperor. Claude's face remained blank as he watched the knights clean up the blood and took away the bodies. As he got up from his seat to return to his palace, Emrys could only see the back of a lonely man. A person who had lost everything to call his own other than his title and his responsibilities to the country. A man who had given up on everything and anything. A broken man who just realised that he let his own flesh and blood die as he fell for the lies his enemy fed him while corrupted by his own black magic.

He was not supposed to think about it but as he glanced at Claude's back once again, he thought that the Emperor looks almost...sad.

But the Emperor is not his responsibility to cheer up. There is more important person in Emrys' life who needs his spirit lifted up.

Without wasting a second, he silently teleported back to the Sapphire Palace, where he needs to stop someone from falling into the dark abyss filled with regret and self-loathing.

***
Hey guys! It's been quite a long time, isn't it? (Sweating bullets😅). As you all may not know, I just settled down in my college just two days ago after a few weeks of online classes. Things is still a bit chaotic for me to adapt so, please don't expect an update anytime soon. Sorry guys. I just got in here and my lecturers are already piling up assignments for me. (Not to mention my problematic eating habits since my introverted self doesn't want to go to the cafe alone and rapid declining wallet for spending most of it on textbooks)

However, don't worry! I promise you guys that I will not drop the story. Just consider this as a temporary hiatus in my part until I can juggled everything again. I will update if I got some free time in my hands. See you guys again soon!