From the Consort's Eye

He was awestruck the moment he laid his eyes on her.

The first princess of the Obelian Empire.

Princess Athanasia de Alger Obelia.

Her golden hair that shone like gold under the sun.The sincere and gentle expression on her face, void of any hypocrisy of nobility that he had seen and grew up with.The soft curve of pink lips that look so pure yet so attractive when she smiled.Her big jewelled blue eyes that glimmer like a thousand diamonds, a pair of orbs that can see beauty in the darkest things.The practised and elegant stride of her gait, a prove that whether she was an outcast or not, she is still the princess of the empire who prioritised the authority image to her subjects.The innocent and kind demeanour that came close to a saint, a trait that made everyone wondered if she was truly born to the heartless Emperor, who stained his hands with the blood of his own sibling to ascend to the throne.

He convinced himself that the princess was an angel sent by the heavens above, a personal messenger of God to purify his filthy soul. Tainted by greed and powerlust of his family.

And for the first time in his life, he wants something or someone for his sake. Not for his family's.

Not as the only heir of the Alpheus family but as Ezekiel Alpheus. An ordinary man just like the others around him. A man who would like a constant stability in his life, not the unpredictable life of a posh heir to the one of the most powerful family in the empire where he needs to give out fake smiles and be observant to the hidden knives behind polite words and flirtatious giggles.

But life never follows exactly as we all wanted it to be. Especially when your father calls the shots in every aspect of your life. To be the most important asset to help his father climb the ranks and gain power within the social circles.

Ever since he can remember, Roger had him trained and polished to be the heir to the ducal house and the most influential gentleman in the empire's youth circle. He obeyed his father, the only family member he has ever since his mother died when he was just a toddler due to an incurable disease. He digested every word of his father like a mere puppet, making sure every syllable was ingrained in his brain and locked inside his heart. Roger often comforted him, saying that everything is for his son's sake and their family's honour and Ezekiel will be the strongest contributer to all of it. Thus, he never disobey any of his father's orders, especially when Jennette came into their house.

Ezekiel, take care of Jennette. Get close to her. She will be your wife in the future. Alright.

Ezekiel, I will send you to Arlanta so you could receive the best education. I understand.

Ezekiel, go and accompany Princess Jennette at the palace. Try to appeal to the Emperor to take you as his son-in-law. I will, Father.

As the time passes by, the expectations began to suffocate him. The hopes of his ambitious father drained his spirit away. Jennette's eager blue jewel eyes for them to be married exhausted him. The Emperor's cold stare silently terrified him and he was tired and he needs to freaking breathe.

And what was more better of a salvation than Princess Athanasia?

She is the first person who didn't look at him with a leering stare of other young noble ladies, her gaze soft and kind as she welcomed her half-sister's official fiancé into her humble garden at the Ruby Palace when Jennette dragged him there to introduce both of them to each other. Just by looking at the two princesses relatively different appearance, one could tell that Jennette hold a higher position than Athanasia despite the latter much longer time in the imperial grounds.

Athanasia's modest and plain dress is a far cry from Jennette's lavish one, heavily laced with ribbons and laces. Her golden hair slightly messy on the top of her head while the brunette's hair seems to not have any strands out of place. The blonde's hands bare for the world to see while the second princess' was covered daintily with equally lavish gloves. Athanasia is free from any annoying accessories but Jennette is wearing a pair of pearl earrings and a sparkling pendant, undoubtedly gifted by the Emperor himself.