Nature vs Nurture...

I keep ahead of Damian, I appear behind him and say,"you're not to good at this." As he turns to poke me with his stick. I roll around a tree. He doesn't have eyes on me. I quietly run back to another tree. Appearing behind him again,"Are you new to this." He stabs a tree. I move around back to the direction we're going,"Did your mother not let you play when you were little." He grunts. I hit a nerve, note to self Damian's mother wasn't very nurturing. I guess my parents could have been worse. Poor Damian...no imagination. We finally make it to the field."Haha...I'm going to win." I say running to the 'princess' Damian looks so agitated. He throws the stick, and I trip. The stick hits me in the back of the head, and I tumble down the empty field that is kinda a hill. I land on my back and Damian rushes over,"Umbra are you ok." I start laughing,"Loosen up Damian. I'm fine." Oh I hate that sentence, I am still laughing though...the words 'I'm fine' echo As I get up. I feel the back of my head. I hit it on a rock. I pull my fingers in front of me.blood. Must have been the rock I hit on my way down. I'll be alright though it's a minor injury. Damian sees it and say,"You're not fine, you're bleeding." I look away,"it's fine, I've had way worse in worse situations, I still want to play Damian.Comeon..." he grabs my wrist,"No.Were going back, and you are done playing till alfred oks it." I frown...my peace. I drop the stick and sadly say "ok." I start to follow Damian back not caring to play or mess around.Im acting like how I was the other day. So dark...soo... depressing. Eventually Damian stops and looks back at me"I suppose I was a bit harsh Umbra. I now owe you one favor.-" I cut him off,"Oh...Can it be a piggy back ride back?" He looks at me, "A what?" I smile,"It's something I learned about in gotham. Basically you carry me on your back, it's supposed to be fun. He nods"...ok, but you have to answer some of my questions-" I jump in while getting on his back,"How bout every question of mine, you answer one of my questions," he grins,"I guess that is acceptable. I cling onto Damians back as he hikes through the trees slowly back,"So...did you go to school?" I shake my head ,"No,..I had a library I went to frequently though, I read of many things, math,history, stories,and Sciences. I learned astronomy, and religions. I had much fun reading often I would get many books and take them to my abditory. It was kinda my own home school." He nods."So what's school like?" He looks forward,"Boring, I'm surrounded by incompetence, and my peers are slow. I am required to stay with them tough." I hum in acknowledgement. "Do you have any siblings." I feel my breath freeze,"Not biologically. The girls of the forest were almost like sisters though." He doesn't respond,"Why do your brothers have different last names. He looks up,"They're adopted. Don't call them my brothers, they are an irritation." I laugh a little, wrapping my arms around his neck, letting my hands rest on his chest. My fingers locked together. "What do you mean the women of the forest?" I look around,"Well don't tell anyone about this , but the tree nymphs and river nymphs around my house loves to play, I called them the women of the forest when I first found them.They were all I had besides the librarian and my...parents." I look at my head resting in his shoulder,"Why did you seem so off out by the mention of your mother, it made me think it was...I don't know...acrane" He looks to the trees his gaze. hardening,"My mother is sick, she's and evil and cruel woman who only cares about one thing. And has no sense of care. She wasn't very nurturing for a mother." I nod. My forehead resting against his neck. It's so comfortable like this."What did you mean, you have had worse injuries in worse places." I look down."My mom would blame me when dad would leave. She's yell and scream and throw things, it was worse when dad was home though, he would hit me or shove me or...hurt me as much as he could. Mom was horrible and did nothing but cry about how horrible I was for not standing up for myself. The worst was the time I tried to stand up for my self. I..." I have trouble actually saying this,"I had gotten out of my dads grip. I kneed him where I knew it would hurt." I take a deep breath. " I took that time to try to get out of the house. My mother when I finally stood up for my self, locked the door and broke a bottle on my shoulder. Then she stabbed at me, my dad finally caught up and spent the next hour or so kicking me while I was on the ground, bleeding. Then he chained me down and poked me with a hot iron poker.When he left the next day, I snuck to my abditory and nymphs healed me as much as he could. I still got 8 major scars out of that day." I look away. I feel a tear fall from my eye. "As I had layed there suffering my mother told me how much I failed, how I couldn't do anything, how I'd always be alone." I stop myself,"I didn't mean to be such a downer...sorry."i sniffle as I wipe my tear and try to lighten the mood,"Do you enjoy meditating?" I ask happily. He has this steady pace to his walking it's soothing, he responds in speech at the same speed,"Yeah, do you meditate?" I look up at the sun set. It's getting dark,"yeah." I look out at the sun set,"Do you think well make it back before dark?" He look forward." I don't think so." I tense at this. I don't stay out in the open at night usually. Actually that's a lie I don't stay out unless I have a source of light...which I don't. It's not like I'm scared of the dark, but I am scared of what's in the dark...you don't know unless you can feel it which isn't really the best way to find things out. He probably felt me tense,"Why are you so scared of staying out lasted sun down." I become a stuttering mess,"Well...you see...l...well im...don't get me wrong...I'm not afraid of the dark...I'm afraid of what's in it, and the unknown, being somewhere new in the dark." He nods,"do you like reading?" He nods,"yes."Do you have any other fears?" I nod,"lots...the unknown, thunder frightens me, being useless, hurting people and ending up alone. Not being enough. My parents coming back, and many many more." I stop realizing how weak I am,"What are you afraid of?" He looks forward and goes tense,"Nothing." I let out a laugh,"everyone's afraid of something." He shakes his head,"I have no fears." I look forward."Are you scared that maybe you do have a fear...and you aren't strong enough to conquer it, or a fear of failure, or a fear of...I don't know...unicorns." I know by the way he acted the first two were spot on...it would have been hard to tell though if I wasn't on his back. I could feel the small changes of breath."Are you scared of being seen as...weak." I say. He gets angry,"I'm not scared of anything." He drops me on the ground,"Find your own way back." He takes off running. I get up after a few moments. I pushed too hard...and he's to stubborn to notice it. I feel a light sprinkle of water, did it just start raining. And the suns almost.*boom*"Ahhhh." A high pitched scream of fright sounds as thunder sounds. Never mind that answers my question. It's starting to rain harder. And "Ahh." *Boom*It's still thundering every few moments. I keep moving forward. I really don't like this. It's almost pitch black, the moon is almost completely blocked by the storm. I trip on a branch and fall against a tree. I slide down it and start crying. I can't believe right after I tell him hurting people thunder and the dark scare me, he leaves me in the middle of the storm at night storming off because I pushed to hard...maybe I hurt him and this is my punishment. My head is between my knees and I'm crying quiet.*Book*"Ahhh" I think I hear someone saying my name or yelling it. It's pouring down out here.*Boom*"Ahh" I am so pathetic. The least I could do is try to make my way back but then again-*Boom*"Ahh." I'm drenched and now I'm getting cold. I'm shivering, and crying out in the middle of a thunder storm. Maybe it's a sign...maybe I should have succeeded the other day...it would have been better. I can't believe I hurt him."I'm sorry...I'm sorry...I'm sorry." I cry*Boom*"Ahhh." My breath is rigid. I feel something in front of me. I try to scramble back.*Boom*"Ahh." The thing in front of me picks me up, it's a boy, I look closer, it's Damian. I lean into his neck and chest rubbing my face saying,"I'm Sorry." Over and over again. He stops walking."Dont apologize. I overreacted. I'm only doing this because i would get in trouble if I left you behind.
I snuzzel into his chest. *Boom*"Ahh"as we keep walking the rain lightens as does the thunder. But it still strikes occasionally. He asks,"Why does thunder scare you so much?" I look at his shirt, " because it makes me think of when my parents would throw a bottle at me. I feel like I'm going to get hurt." I look up at him he looks agitated,"Why did you really come back for me." He looks down at me momentarily still walking. "Because no good person leaves another alone when they just told you their fears. Especially not if they start happening. An even if I'm not too. I am no coward." I nod. *Boom*"Ahh." I feel him flinching when I scream. I don't blame him though. " are you upset with me." I shake my head still it's lightly drizzling,"No...I am really sorry for pushing your buttons though. And thankful you came back. And happy I'm not alone. I am all but upset with you." He nods,"Do you know how great you are." He looks down at me,"I'm not sure what you mean." Well you're brave, youre smart, nice, selfless, intelligent, ambitious, self respecting, and just so...wonderful Do you know how amazing you are. It takes him a minute to respond," Of course I know that stuff." He looks away smirking," would you really have killed yourself." I look up,"Really...Yes. I still think about it. But I'm trying to stop. I have something to live for. I have stuff I care about." He is bright red."What's your opinion of me?" He stops walking. It's cold, so I shiver."How do you mean?" I look up at him,"What type of person do you think I am?" He starts walking again."Well...You are a very fit person who is very childish. You Try really hard for others and you are good at getting what you want.*Boom*"Ahh." He continues,"You are also a very good person who has been through many bad things." I look him in the eye as he keeps walking."You really think that." He nods. He looks forward again."Where did you stay in gotham?" I look away,"Mostly warehouses. Sometimes roofs. And very rarely stores." I think for a second,"Have you ever had a girl friend?" He looks at me,"If you are asking about my personal relations with girls in a romantic way, then no. I do not wish to be with a hollow person." He looks down at me,"What about you Umbra?" I look away."Not out of my own free will."