Chapter 14 | Heartstrings

TW// Trigger warning: death, guns, violence

***

A turbulent month quickly flew by.

They were sure, so sure everything would go well.

They had trained, practiced for hours - paid blacksmiths to forge the best armor and weaponry that could help them.

Yet, why...why was it no one foretold...this situation?

+-+-+

"HWIYOUNG!!!!!!" Taeyang screams incoherently as he's held back by the men Chanhee's father had on standby. Inseong was crouched beside Dawon, who had been injured mercilessly by arrows piercing through his abdominal area - being inflicted through his back.

Hwiyoung laughs weakly, raising his sword to attempt and stab the guard that held him under, but he froze - feeling the tip of a sword point at the back of his neck. His breath hitched, feeling his chest begin to grow heavy.

"Drop the sword." The man slurs darkly, applying a little pressure which makes Hwiyoung gag out in nervousness.

Youngbin was hiding with Baek Zuho, having been monitoring Chani's father as he held prince Chani captive. They had been quiet, surely they wouldn't be seen or even heard within feet away.

King Kang loosened the chains around his son, laughing hysterically - dryly - as if he had no sense of morality anymore. He twists his head from side to side, hearing the infuriating cracks as he does this, and he looks at his soldier who has a sword to Hwiyoung's neck. "No need to do that. My son, Chani, will do it."

-

Rowoon was panting heavily off to the corner behind the crates; his head had been aching ever since they arrived. He was kept against the various crates near the broken-down entrance, and despite his protests, Zuho held him down, having looked fiercely into his eyes, "You need to stay safe. If you survive while we all die, you will tell our story and keep protecting future lives with your unique trait."

It hurt hearing that from him. They were words he hadn't heard in a long time.

-

Inseong looks frantically, but Dawon holds his hand, "Hey," Dawon whispers weakly, "Go to Youngbin."

"I can't leave you!" Inseong almost hollers, but he ends up croaking it out as to not be found.

"Go to him. You've known him much longer than I," Dawon chuckles, sitting up weakly while snatching a cloth from Inseong and tying it around his worsened wounds. "Go to him."

"N-No-." Inseong flinches, blinking as he's cut off abruptly.

Dawon screams, "GO TO HIM INSEONG BECAUSE WHAT THE FUCK WILL YOU DO IF YOU LOSE HIM!? YOU LOVED THE MAN WHEN Y'ALL WERE TEENAGERS, ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUSLY GOING TO LOSE HIM NOW!?!?!?"

Inseong's heart palpitated painfully within his chest, feeling as if his rib cage was on the verge of tearing itself out, "H-How do-did you- when did you find out?????"

"Seokwoo told me everything."

-

"B-But sir-." The guard grows silent as Chani's father raises his hand in a silence motion.

"Are you defying my orders?" Kyunghun Kang asks.

The guard gulps, "N-No sir."

"Good." Kyunghun looks at his son, raising his eyebrow, "Get up boy. You know what to do."