Retired

The shunned lined the hallways of a prison corridor that led to a grand set of double doors. Judge Logan stood at the front of the line with Evan by his side. He had changed into a simpler robe from the one he wore in court. White and flowing, he looked a bit like a Renaissance-era Jesus. On both sides of the walls, the undead stretched back beyond the curve, possibly into the next corridor, as far as Evan could see.

Judge broke from the ranks and stepped over the stinking pits, stomping on the metal grills as he passed. He spoke down to them in a thunderous voice, "I hope you all appreciate how special it is to be able to witness this action today."

A mix of voices escaped the cells. Moans of dissent and at least one loud "Fuck you!" that Evan could hear.

"The Shunned who passes before you has sacrificed more than any of you pathetic cattle could comprehend!" Logan shouted, "And you will respect this ceremony." He snapped his fingers and pointed at one of the holes in the floor, presumably the one from where the vulgarity had come from. A pair of Shunned lifted the grill and the Judge dropped into it.

The screams came first, then a barrage of flames licked up out of the pit. An arm thrust itself from the hole and the Judge pulled himself back to the surface as the pained cries continued. He was completely unscathed.

Logan addressed the prisoners once again. "Now I know that you all heard that. And if you didn't, you will soon smell it. We'll try this again, and maybe this time, a round of applause for our brother, huh?" He stomped on a grate and a smatter of claps came from a few of the cells.

"Shunned! Please join me in congratulating brother Bekoe on choosing the walk to the center!" The rest of them stamped their feet and whooped. The prisoner on fire added to the sweltering heat of the room, which seemed to only drive their fervor.

The Judge took his place next to the door and Evan. The new guy's stomach growled and he tapped Logan's arm. "Do I get to eat soon?" He whispered.

Logan's eyes flashed with annoyance, but he swallowed it and whispered back. "Yes, you will. Just be patient and mind your manners. This is a solemn event." When Evan's stomach rumbled again, the Judge rummaged in his robes and pulled out a small plastic baggie with a handful of cheese crackers shaped like fish.

"Not too many, you'll ruin your appetite."

Evan tried to savor them, and he made sure not to crunch them too loudly, lest he upset the Judge again.

Bekoe slowly made his way down the center of the throngs, naked as the day he was born. The sweat covering him brought the color back to his body. He was every bit the warrior he appeared. The chants from the Shunned grew until they merged, even their stomps becoming united.

"Ah-ooh!" STOMP. "Ah-ooh!" STOMP. It reminded Evan of something from the movies about Roman gladiators. They looked on him with a reverence generally reserved for true leaders.

When Bekoe finally reached the massive doors, Judge Logan embraced him. Their foreheads clashed and their heads playfully jousted for supremacy. Logan smiled. "You're a fucking god among men, you badass motherfucker. Prepare to be a real god. I love you my friend."

The men held each other at arm's length, just drinking in the sight before them. Then they hugged even more forcefully. When they broke, the Judge clapped Bekoe's arm. "Thank you for your service."

With that, the Judge grabbed a handle of one of the doors and it creaked as it opened under its own weight. An even greater heat emanated from the opening. It felt as if Bekoe were walking into hell itself. The only thing missing was a sign with the words "Abandon all hope, ye who enter" written above it.

Beyond the aperture, Evan could see a ramp that curved downwards, the floor seeming to fall away. In fact, the entire room, cavernous as it was, looked to spiral in on itself like a snail's shell. When Bekoe crossed the threshold, he walked impossibly upright with the curve of the floor until he disappeared around the bend. Evan craned his neck to see further through the doorway.

Logan placed an arm on Evan's chest and gently pushed him back against the wall. "Hmmm, not yet, young initiate." He said as he shook his head.

Bekoe's voice drifted from the hidden room. "Mr. Miller! It is not a chariot! And it is not Nyame! But by his grace -- it is wondrous!"

Logan shut the door, but the crowd could still hear Bekoe's warrior scream. It was joined by a deeper howl, something bestial, but undeniably mammoth. The corridor shook as the Earth quaked. Some other sound mingled with the fading cries from the center, a metallic scrape. It was replaced with a sucking from the bottom of the pits.

The Shunned resumed their chants.

"Ah-ooh!" STOMP. "Ah-ooh!" STOMP.