Losers

Evan punched the button on the light-up watch for what must have been the thousandth time. It read ten forty-four, a little over twenty-eight hours since he first took it from Boyd. Evan felt like he should be trying to save the battery, but what would be the point? He had four or five days, max. Still, he felt like he might freak out quite a bit if the watch refused to illuminate before he passed on. Funny how he had already grown accustomed to thinking of himself as dead. That probably wasn't healthy.

Anybody else would probably be formulating a better plan than wall-running to freedom. In that time, he had scraped the putrefaction down the drain with his shoe while it was open. That was the extent of his accomplishments. Since then, the drain hadn't re-opened. The lights and the accompanying ghost patrol had returned once, but Evan refrained from any outburst. It hadn't made a difference the last time.

"I've never owned a watch, I'm not sure why. Guess I never had anywhere that important to be", Evan said. Mostly he just wanted to keep Callie talking. Her voice was getting weaker as time elapsed. He was glad she was there. A horrible thought, Evan knew, but he was morbidly thankful for the company. He shot a glance over to Boyd's corner before the light cut out, just to make sure the rotting bastard didn't get up. He'd hate to be trapped in a zombie scenario. The current situation was horrific enough. 

A look at the wallet contents had confirmed that the less decayed body was in fact Boyd. Not much else inside but a government issue picture I.D. Not even a driver's license, much less a credit card. Evan wondered why the man would have had car keys but no license to drive it.

"I haven't either. Y'know, you shouldn't be so down on yourself all the time. You talk about yourself like some kinda loser", Callie suggested. "Maybe you haven't cured cancer or anything, but you seem alright to me. You definitely don't deserve this."

"Well, I don't think I ever pissed anybody off. I'd be surprised if most of my co-workers even recognized me. One time, I got out of paying rent for a month because my landlord forgot I was staying there", Evan chuckled. "I don't imagine he'd kidnap me and leave me to die for that though. It was more of a closet anyway. Thanks for saying that. That I'm not a loser. I guess I thought I'd always do something... more. I moved out of the sticks to end up working a register. I could've stayed home and worked at the Stop N' Shop for all it mattered. For what it's worth, you don't deserve this either. You seem nice."

She scoffed, more at herself than at Evan. "I'm a bitch. I basically called you dumb and cursed at you in the first five minutes we met."

"You were scared. I get it."

"I still am. I'm just too tired to show it. But it's true, I am a bitch. I usually don't like people. Everybody in the world is just trying to fuck you over. Better to fuck them first, right? I'd 'bout cut off my arm to see somebody now though. Well, not whoever's up there. Somebody sweet. And not judg-ey. Probably rules out anybody I've met before. Except you."

Evan pushed the watch button again. "Yeah. I just wish I was taller. Or in better shape. Maybe I could have made that jump."

"I like when you shine that light", Callie said. "It's so dark in here I can kinda see some blue when I look up. Almost like I can see the night sky again."

"Will you sing a song for me?"

"What?"

"You said you were a singer. I was wondering if you could sing something for me. You don't have to. I just thought it would be good to hear some music again. I know I'd enjoy it."