Peers

Evan straightened the tie from the suit Bekoe had loaned him. They stood in the transept of a massive chapel. The nave looked like it could accommodate hundreds, but only several dozen Shunned filled the first six rows.

"Nice turnout. "Evan said, sarcastically.

Bekoe answered without jest. "I know! Everyone is gathered here today. An event like this only happens every other generation."

"Why are we over here instead of sitting at the defendant table, or whatever?" Evan's stomach grumbled loudly. "And can I get a snack or something while we wait?"

Bekoe shook his head. "Questions, always questions. That is not how things are done here. We wait for our cue, and if His Honor deems you worthy to go on, you will be fed. If not, back to the pit you will go, and it would be a shame to start the whole process over again on a full stomach."

"Our cue?"

At that moment, all of the lights in the church went out, a thumping drum and synth sounded from a hidden speaker. The volume continued to build accompanied by a booming baritone voice.

"Ladies and gentle-Shunned, I'm pleased to announce the starting lineup for your trial of the century, here at Ico-Three! In the Eastern transept... the defendant, Evan Miller and his counsel, the indelible Ashanti... Beko-o-o-o-oe!"

A brilliant spotlight popped onto them, and Evan shielded his eyes. Bekoe whispered into his ear, "Now we go! We go!" He guided Evan to their table. The nave behind them erupted in whistles, cheers, and stomping. Evan actually had to fight off a smile and the urge to wave back at them. He'd never gotten a reception like that before.

The announcer continued. "In the western transept, Prosecution for the Shunned, the holy heartbreaker, Hu-u-u-uey Priest!"

The spotlight tagged another well-dressed Shunned, shambling over to the opposing desk. He lolled his head in exasperation, his words barely audible as the jams continued. "That's not my name."

The spotlight shifted over to the narthex as a kangaroo hopped down the aisle. The cheers grew louder and laughter erupted from the pews. "Court stenographer, Mary Sue Peele!"

Again the spotlight moved, this time to the previously empty jury box stationed in the ambulatory. It was now fully staffed, the occupants in various stages of decay. They sat motionless, with all eyes fixed on Evan, who quickly looked away. The speaker-voice blared, "Twelve angry peers!"

The spotlight broke off into three separate circles, which swarmed about the cathedral as the anticipation built. The pounding music was in full swing, like the final quarter of a tied game in a packed football stadium. Finally, they merged and settled on the bench. "And finally, the juggernaut of justice, the titan of trials, your favorite and mine... His Honor, Judge Se-e-eth Lo-o-o-o-ga-a-an!"

A tall man appeared at the judge's bench at the chancel, his gloved hands thrust the sign of the devil into the air and he banged his head in rhythm with the jock jams. His robe was bedazzled, his face adorned with aviators and topped with a powdered wig. The kangaroo leapt onto the short side of the bench and positioned itself in front of a typewriter.

Evan leaned over to Bekoe. "This is the guy that's going to judge me? He looks like Liberace got face-fucked by a Founding Father."

The cathedral courtroom went dead silent. Judge Logan slammed the gavel down and pointed it at Evan. "Good one, Mr. Miller. Ten points for the defendant!"

"I didn't mean -- wait, what?"

The judge pinched the bridge of his nose."He's already confused. This one is always with the questions, isn't he?" Bekoe nodded assent. "Well, Mr. Miller, let me give you a bit of advice, hold those thoughts until you get to the bits with all the exposition, okay? You may all be seated. Counselors, please present your arguments."

Bekoe and Huey moved at the same time, Bekoe held out an open palm, yielding the floor to the opposing counsel.

"Your honor, Mr. Miller was chosen for sacrifice in the same manner as all other sacrifices. The research we did on him prior to selection was just as rigorous as the rest." He lifted a hand, counting off fingers as he made his points. "No true ties or bonds to anyone on the surface, aside from distant, and seldom familial. No true impact on his immediate environment, or really, any environment at all. Good or bad, makes no difference, because even evil draws eyes and ears. Nor did he have any designs for future impact. He is a man without place or purpose, no one will remember him, no one will miss him."

Evan slumped back in his chair, the truth of his situation a punch to his churning guts.

The judge removed his aviators. "Powerful words, counselor. Fifty points for the prosecution. Does the defense wish to make a rebuttal, or is that about the size of it?"

Bekoe stood and straightened his suit. "Let us not forget that Mr. Miller here is exceptional. He may not have had an impact on the surface, but his actions have called us here for the first time this century. That is importance. That is impact.

"The desperate have made some of the greatest Shunned in history, for they have bartered for favor with nothing but their lives. And they are often the ones who make the final sacrifice to willingly take the long walk through Ico-Twenty and into the center. To truly understand the service we do as Star-Shunners.

"Purpose. We know no one is those pits has purpose, it is the reason they are there. We give them purpose in death. Mr. Miller, like many from the surface, is searching for purpose, but he also wishes to live. His actions and sense of will demand he live! And we as Star-Shunners have a purpose for the still living here. Let us offer that option to Mr. Miller, and we shall see that will and strength of his to serve!"

The courtroom exploded, the Shunned clapped their hands in agreement. Judge Logan slammed his gavel on the podium. "Order! Order!" The crowd fell quiet. "I may have missed something. Will the court stenographer read back the last minute of the opening argument?"

The kangaroo lifted its paws and smashed them onto the typewriter over and over. It lifted off the bench from the force, letter keys flying off and clattering across the cathedral floor.

Judge Logan leaned down and scratched the kangaroo's jowls. He cooed at it in baby-talk. "You good girl! This court wouldn't work without you, no it wouldn't!" She gave him two quick licks on the cheek.

"Compelling stuff." The judge twirled his gavel. "I've lost track of the points, and honestly, I'm getting bored here. What say you, the jury?" The jurors remained still, but Judge Logan mumbled, "Mmhmm. Mmhmm. Very well, guilty it is! The sentence is death."

The crowd gasped and Evan stood up, knocking his chair back. "Bullshit! This whole trial is a sham!"

"Of course it is!" The judge thundered. "Mary Sue Peele? It's a fucking kangaroo court, kid!"

Evan could only look on in confusion.

"A kangaroo court?" Judge Logan held out his arms, an open-mouthed smile on his face, waiting for a reaction from Evan. The only response was a rumble from Evan's stomach.

The judge fell back in his chair. "He doesn't get it. It's not funny if I have to explain it."

"Your honor, the jury didn't even really say anything. At least let them give a true verdict." Evan argued.

His Honor angrily replied, "Of course they didn't, you dense twat! Did you think they were Shunned? It's a jury of your peers. Dead men! Pulled from the pits. Why do you think the jury box is in the ambulatory? No, you know what? That irony is too sweet for you. Mary Sue, strike that last statement from the record."

The stenographer kicked the typewriter across the room.

The judge took a deep breath, calming himself. "We're going to take a recess. Counselors and Mr. Miller, join me in my chambers." He disappeared into the axial chapel.

A low growl from Evan's guts echoed through the cathedral.