Chapter 2: Glass Shards

Shouta curled up in his sleeping bag on the couch in the break room. Only God knew how much he needed a nap. This years applicants seemed strong enough. None of them really caught his eye other than the one kid who scored first with explosions, but that's the props in having a "flashy Quirk".

There was one kid who got in solely on rescue points after saving a girl. He had a mental Quirk, so that caught his eye. There was one kid who was placed in his class who had a perverted look to him. Shouta thinks he'll be gone by the end of the first week.

Hizashi walked in and saw him there. "Hey, Shou! You ready setting up your classroom for this year?"

Shouta groaned in response.

"Aww. I'm sorry Shouta. I'll help you out this year. I know you'll miss the free time you had last year," Hizashi said.

Last year Shouta had expelled his entire class and the free time he had was amazing. He didn't see any potential in any of them and there's a point where you just have to let them go. Too many people wanted to be heroes for selfish reasons and it set a bad taste on his tongue.

It'd been seven years and he still thought a little boy had more potential. Izuku... He'd only known the kid for a few hours and he was already attached. That didn't happen to him, he wasn't the type of person to get attached to people quickly.

But this one small child had managed to be so memorable after one day.

Shouta thought about him often. He was supposed to watch one Quirkless boy for just one night until Tsukauchi came the next morning, and when he came back he was gone.

He liked to trick himself in believing Izuku ran away and grew up and got a job. That he was living a normal happy life as a young fifteen year old boy. But his mind told him otherwise.

The room had been left as a disaster. And there were clear signs of a struggle, not to mention the strange dust found on the carpet by the blanket.

He just didn't want to believe it.

Bringing himself back to reality, he looked to his husband with a grateful smile. "Thanks that'd be great."

Hizashi smiled back at him and went back to his desk to get his papers. There was a lot to be done in preparation of the new school year. Shouta had to move on with life. The world kept spinning and time kept moving forward. If he stayed stuck in the past, he'd get left behind.

Shouta just had to keep hoping that; wherever the problem child was, he was safe and happy.

___________________________________

Izuku shifted on the bare dirtied mattress that lay on the floor of a small cemented room. The ceiling had wooden rafters that were too high to reach and looked so old that they might collapse on him. It smelled of dank rotting flesh and blood in there but the smell had long since became nose blind to him.

The room was tiny, so much so that he could touch the sides of it without moving his feet when standing.

There were no windows in the room and the only lightbulb had been busted years ago after one particularly rough beating session. A large thick wooden door was on the right side of the room, the other side full of monsters that called themselves humans.

He was human. They were just murderers.

Izuku curled up in a ball under the thin half moth eaten blanket. It barley kept away the chilly draft but it was better than nothing, right? He played with the hem of his shirt. It was a black band shirt with short sleeves, it was covered in dirt and his own blood but it was still baggy on him.