But, that was the least thing that mattered; once his eyes met the merman's, he was all he could focus on. A bright smile took over his lips.

"Oh, Taehyung! You startled me."

Taehyung giggled, looking around if anyone except them was there before pulling himself on the sand a little.

Both of the boys were nervous, neither of them sure of what to say.

"So, uh, I─"
"I wanted to─"

They looked at each other, laughing at their attempts. "You go first." Taehyung said, smiling.

"Alright! Can you tell me more about yourself?" The merman bit his lip, nodding slowly.

"Like you know, my name is Taehyung. I'm eighteen years old and well.. I live in the sea." Fiddling with his fingers, his heart skipped at beat when he heard the human chuckle.

"Alright, Taehyung-ah. What can I tell you about me.. My name is Jeongguk, which you ready know. I'm also eighteen years old! And.. I live on land."

Now it was Taehyung's turn to giggle.

"Can I ask you a question?" The curious merman asked. Jeongguk smiled, "Ask me anything!"

Not knowing how to put it, Taehyung just pointed at the two long things connected to the bottom half of the human, a very riddled look on his face.

Looking down, Jeongguk laughed loudly.

"Ah, these! These things are called legs. We walk on them." He let himself fall back on the sand and lifted his feet, pretending to walk in the air dramatically.

Taehyung just watched with curious and innocent eyes, not understanding that what the human was doing was supposed to be a small joke.

"My turn!" Jeongguk kept on smiling, sitting back up and crossing his legs.
"How is it to have a tail?"

Taehyung thought for a moment, not sure how to explain it. "The same as it is to have legs.. It's natural. I don't know any better."

"May I see your tail? Did it heal properly? The last time I saw you, there were wound all over it. It must've hurt so badly. I'm so sorry that happened to you.." Jeongguk nervously asked, hoping he wasn't crossing any boundaries.

Taehyung began feeling warm inside, noticing how genuine the other is and how much he cares.

Without any hesitation, he pulled himself fully on the sand for the very first time in his life. He was now completely exposed and very vulnerable.

But for some reason he trusted Jeongguk. After all, he saved his life. And he felt like he would do it again.

Jeongguk watched with wide eyes, all kinds of thoughts ran through his head.

From how ethereal the merman is, to how stunning his tail is─ how mesmerising his long, silky fins are to his cute, matching blue hair.

"Woah..." Was all that came out of his mouth, as a mere breathless whisper.

Taehyung smiled widely, stroking his side fin. It was a habit.

Whilst the human took in the beauty before him, letting his eyes scan him and take in every detail, his orbs suddenly focused solely at something under his ears moving.

Gills.

"Holy shit─ that is so cool!" Jeongguk gasped, this really taking his interest.
Taehyung looked at the human with wide eyes, a little scared at the sudden outburst.

"W─what?" The merman looked at him in curiosity, wanting to know what was so special.

"You have gills! That's mindblowing!"