book 2 - chapter 2

Start from the beginning

"Only when I'm annoyed." I defend.

"Sure, Luna." He appeases. "Whatever you say."

I turn my attention back to my family to find my mom still talking to my cousins. "Your father doesn't bring you to visit nearly enough." She tells them, then turning to face my uncle, and punching him lightly on the arm. "He's probably scared I'll beat him up like when we were kids."

"I'm not scared of you!" My uncle denies. "Anymore."

Everyone around me chuckles, but for some reason I don't. I think I'm really annoyed at my mom and can't just force myself to pretend that I'm okay with her selfish actions – not even for my family.

Out of the corner of my eye, my breath hitches as soon as I see them. My heart sinks and I have this weird, chilling feeling in my stomach. It's my best friend introducing her boyfriend to her parents. Her boyfriend who I'm pretty sure I like.

My mouth goes dry and I get cold chill. It's not that I wasn't expecting to see them, I knew that I would. It's just that I'm upset that they are all happy and in-love while I've been dealing with grief and rage and fights all by myself. All alone when I always had Korra and she always had me.

"Luna!" Her voice catches my attention. I turn around to see Asami running towards me with a huge, contagious smile.

"Hi, Asami!" I respond while giggling as I engulf her in my arms.

She breaks off our embrace and cups my face with her hands. "I missed you so much! How are you?"

"I'm good." I say quickly, avoiding eye contact and hoping with every fiber of my being that she doesn't press the subject further.

Before Asami could say anything more, I feel a pair of arms attach themselves at my waist. I gasp as I feel myself being carried and spun around. "If it isn't my favorite braided waterbender!" Bolin exclaims as he puts me down.

I chuckle and smile at the earthbender. "Hey, Bo. How are you?"

"I'm great! Excited! Completely ready to explore this frozen paradise!" He answers dramatically, to no one's surprise.

"You guys remember Iroh." I state, grabbing my friend's arm and pulling him closer to the three of us.

Asami eyes me weirdly, then turns her attention to Iroh. "How could I forget? He saved our lives like a thousand times. I didn't think that the United Forces would be invited to this festival?"

"They weren't." I clarify. "I invited him."

"Oh." She responds dramatically. "Are you two, like, you know, a thing?"

I have a coughing fit and feel a fierce crimson blush creep up on my cheeks. Iroh rubs the back of his neck and also is blushing when I turn up to look up at him. "W-We're not." Iroh immediately denies.

"I see." Asami says with a deep smirk. "Not yet anyways, right?"

"Asami." I say, shooting eye-darts at her. "Shut up."

"Why are you telling Asami to shut up?" I hear my best friend's familiar voice query.

I turn around and meet her blue eyes, feeling nothing but frustration and anger. I know I shouldn't feel this way, as she needed to train her airbending, but I do. I needed her and she wasn't there.

"No reason." I say dryly.

"Hey, ice girl." Mako greets with a smile, his arm around Korra's waist. "How you been? We've missed you."

I meet his amber eyes and feel tears threatening to spill from my eyes. "Yeah, I missed you guys too."

I see Korra raise an eyebrow at us – Iroh and I, confusion in her expression. "Did something happen? Are you mad at—"