⚊ xxiii. the second life of reese logan.

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄;
THE SECOND LIFE OF REESE LOGAN

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄;THE SECOND LIFE OF REESE LOGAN

— REESE LOGAN WAS BURNING

— REESE LOGAN WAS BURNING. She was burning; locked away in complete darkness. Her body felt like she'd been doused in gasoline and then set on fire. She was burning. For four days Reese wondered if this is how her ancestors had felt when they were burned at the stake. If they felt like the skin was melting off of their limbs and their muscles were being reduced to liquid. Like their blood was now lava. Reese wondered how anyone could endure this kind of pain. Inside of her own mind, trapped with her thoughts, she was screaming; begging for someone to help her. For someone, anyone, to stop this agony. But no one listened or no one heard. So Reese continued to smolder.

For the life of her, Reese couldn't understand what she had done to deserve this. She'd given up everything! She sacrificed her own life for the good of the many; was forced to say goodbye to the people she loved most as she layed there dying; hell, she even battled a three hundred year old witch filled with the magic of over a hundred witches — and Reese had won. Where had she gone wrong? She didn't know. For four days that's all Reese could think about (or maybe it was four years, time seems to slow down when one is trapped in their mind while continually burning). She tried to bury the pain with happy thoughts. Memories of her siblings and her aunt. Reese tried to picture their faces, but their images were blurry as if her mind could hold onto a single thing. Like her brain had been reduced to mush.

Then, after what felt like eternity, the pain stopped. It was as if someone had finally heard her please and poured a bucket of water over her to extinguish the flames. Reese stayed in the dark, crying out in relief. She tried to force her eyes to open, but they felt like they were glued shut. Reese attempted to move, even just a wiggle of her toes would've been sufficient enough, but she had no luck. She tried to yell, wanting someone to know that she was there. But her jaw didn't move a fraction of an inch. Reese was frozen. Stuck. A prisoner inside her own mind. Just when she had lost all hope, Reese felt a warm feeling rush over her body. For just a second, terror filled her as she thought that the burning would return, but it didn't. Instead, Reese's eyes shot open.