| Chapter XXII

For a moment, nothing happened. But after a few seconds, the hair on the Kalkara's chest started to set fire and soon the Kalkara was running around in circles, trying to get rid of the fire and flames that were burning him alive. And after some seconds, he suddenly exploded — sort of exploded — leaving his corpse on the ground. Which smelled, by the way.
I turned away and fell down again, bleeding from the wounds in my body. I panted and looked at James who was still fighting for his life. He was a good person, I knew it. And that's why I was getting up now to help my friend.
I stumbled towards him and raised my bow, shooting an arrow at a Wargal, who was running towards me. When it got too close, I drew my Saxe and pushed it deep into the Wargal's chest, hitting his heart and instantly killing it.
I pulled back my Saxe and panted again. I quickly said: "Guess you needed some help?"
James' mouth dropped as he said: "Silver! The wounds!"
"Focus on the Wargals first," I said, showing him by sending an arrow right through the arm of another Wargal. They were coming too close now, so I drew my throwing knife and threw it at the closest Wargal. It stumbled and fell down, still shaking and trying to get up.
     The remaining seven Wargals looked at the dead Wargal and the badly wounded one and then at us. I nervously smiled at James and asked: "Are you in for a fight?"
     "Of course!" he answered.
     Then we both started shooting arrows.
     At some point, James grabbed his Saxe and began to protect me from incoming attacks that were too close for me to block with my bow and arrow. And I kept the Wargals at distance by shooting their eyes out of their heads. Literally. It was cruel and I suddenly thought about it. I was no better than these monsters. I was a monster myself, by killing other creatures that were born on Planet Earth to live. Not to die.
     "Why are you hesitating?" James asked, panting himself too.
     I shook my head and shot the fourth Wargal through his left shin. Will once told me that an arrow shot through your left shin hurts the most. I don't know why — that's the reason I had kicked Halt on his left shin. This applies to humans. Hopefully, it applies to Wargals too.
     I saw how James then pierced his Saxe through the neck of the Wargal and then turned to the remaining left. Then I saw something flicking in their eyes.
     It was fear.
I drew another arrow — arrow number twenty — and aimed for the nose of the Wargal. Panting and seeing blurry, I said: "Go away or I shoot this arrow through your nose."
The Wargals looked at one another, then started running away.
James turned around and wanted to walk away from this battlefield. Not me. I shot arrows at the Wargals and killed them by shooting an arrow through their throats.
James turned back to me and frowned. "Was that really necessary?"
I nodded. "I don't want them here in this land anymore." Then I sat down and lay my hand on the biggest wound. I looked up to James, who was sitting next to me and whistled, using his fingers.
Almost immediately, James' pony showed up. James grabbed one of the saddlebags and then searched for his medical pack, something every Ranger carries around. He grabbed some bandages and a painkilling cream — he told me it was called warmweed. He sat down next to me and gently pushed me down.
I laid on my back and grimaced when pain shot through my body. My chest went up and down as James ripped my clothes, baring my entire right arm and chest. Then he asked: "How did you get these wounds?"
"Haven't you gotten any wounds?" I weakly asked.
James noticed my exhaustion and said: "Easy, Silver. I'll take care of these wounds, then get Will down." He then said with a sigh, looking up to Will who was still standing on a building. Then he turned back to me and added: "And after that, we need to get you to someone who can help you, on Redmont."
     I nodded once and then took some deep breaths. I grimaced again from the pain and arched my back. "It hurts a lot!" I announced.
     "I noticed — calm down, please!" James said, almost begging me. To be honest, it looked more as if he was rushing and worrying about the situation, and that worries me too.
     "Do you know someone who can treat these wounds?" I asked.
     James shook his head. "I'm gonna help Will getting down. Stay here!" he demanded strictly. "Don't move too much — it will worsen your situation." Then he went to the building and helped Will down.
     After some time, I raised my head and whistled, using my fingers. I opened my eyes and heard the sounds of a galloping horse. Then, a wet nose touched my cheek. I opened my eyes and saw Shimmer. But almost immediately after he touched my nose for a second, Heidi pushed the pony's nose aside and wet my face with her saliva.
     If you didn't want to fight, there were surely other ways to get out of the fight, Shimmer said.
     "Lie down, please," I whispered to Shimmer.
     Shimmer seemed to know what I wanted, so he lied down so that the saddlebags were facing me. I reached for one saddlebag and took out a bottle of water. I slowly started drinking and then placed the bottle on the ground. I then grabbed something out of the other saddlebag and showed it to Shimmer.
     An apple, Shimmer happily said.
     "Eat," I said.
     Shimmer carefully and gently took the apple and crunched it. Then he pressed his nose against my forehead, as if he tried to encourage me.
James came back with Will, who dropped down beside me and started treating the wounds. Then he announced: "I need to stitch these wounds, Silver."
I nodded. "Just do what must be done." After that, I blacked out.