| Chapter II

"First in line, step forward and face the Baron!" Martin shouted.
Archie grinned and stepped forward, then giving me a nasty glare before he put up a straight, confident face. He straightened his back and cleared his throat.
"Name?" the Baron asked.
"Archie Cunningham, my lord," Archie answered.
"And do you have a preference, Archie?" Baron Arald asked.
"Battleschool, my lord!" Archie said with a clear voice.
     Baron Arald turned his gaze to Battlemaster Rodney and asked: "Battlemaster?"
     Battlemaster Rodney stepped forward and studied Archie. I saw how Archie swallowed when Battlemaster Rodney said: "You are muscular, and you have broad shoulders. You ride?"
Archie shook his head. "N-no, Sir. . ."
"That's okay," the Battlemaster said, "riding horses can be taught." Then he turned to Baron Arald. "I'll take him for Battleschool, subject to the usual three-month probationary period."
Baron Arald made a note on his papers and nodded his head. Then he looked up at Archie. "Congratulations, Archie. Report to Battleschool tomorrow at eight o'clock sharp."
"Who's next?" Martin asked.
I saw Nigel stepping forward. He faced Baron Arald and said with a neutral clear voice: "Nigel Clark. Armorer, my lord."
     Baron Arald turned to the Armorer. The Armorer studied Nigel and nodded his head. "So, you're familiar with chemistry and anatomy, to make excellent works?"
     Nigel nodded his head. "I am, sir."
     The Armorer nodded his head. "We'll see about that first. I'll take him."
     Baron Arald grinned to Nigel. "Congratulations, Nigel. Report to your Master tomorrow at eight o'clock sharp."
     Nigel stepped back in line and the next one, Casper, stepped forward and faced Baron Arald. Casper cleared his throat and shifted with his feet. He was obviously nervous. Who wouldn't be?
     "Name?" Baron Arald asked.
     "C-casper Philips," Casper answered.
     "Do you have a preference, Casper?"
     "Not really, my lord," Casper answered. "But I would like to become Horsemaster."
     "Horsemaster?" Baron Arald asked, turning to the Horsemaster who stepped forward and studied Casper.
     You see, Casper was just as skinny as me and not really a boy who uses his fists, unlike me. He was more of an animal friend, someone who loves any kind of animal and who has a soft heart.
     The Horsemaster immediately nodded his head. "He's acceptable, and I am sure he won't be a problem with the big horses of the knights. I'll take him."
      "Congratulations, Casper. Report to your Horsemaster tomorrow at nine o'clock." Baron Arald made another note and then watched as Casper stood back in line. Baron Arald then gestured Lewis to come forward.
     Lewis stepped forward. He was a confident boy that was able to hide his feelings very well, even his nervousness. "My name is Lewis Evans. I request an appointment to the Diplomatic Service, please, my lord."
     Lady Pauline stepped forward and nodded her head. "Looking at Lewis for the first time now, I believe he is capable of being an excellent Apprentice, who will once serve the Queen as a Courier. I'll take him."
     Baron Arald smiled and made another note on his sheets. "Congratulations, Lewis. Report to Lady Pauline tomorrow at eight o'clock."
     Lewis stepped back in line and managed to keep his back straight. He would do great, I was sure.
     Baron Arald looked at Charlotte and gestured her to come forward. Charlotte touched my hand and then stepped forward. "I am Charlotte Stewart, and my preference is Master Jenny!" I knew how excited she was. And I knew she was good at cooking. No way she would not be chosen.
Master Jenny studied the girl in front of her. Charlotte was so kind and caring, and the things she bakes and makes are really delicious. Master Jenny smiled and asked: "Do you know what we do with thieves that try to steal our food we just made?"
     From the place I was standing I could see Master Jenny was joking. But ignoring a Master's question was no one's intention.
     "We hit them with a spoon," she answered with a smile.
     Master Jenny turned to Baron Arald and said: "I'll take her."
     "Congratulations, Charlotte," Baron Arald said. "Report to Master Jenny tomorrow at ten o'clock." Then he made a note, watched as Charlotte stood back in the line and then looked at me. "Next."
     I swallowed and felt that Charlotte touched my hand again. She leaned over to me and whispered: "You can do this!" I nodded my head and breathed in and out. My heart was racing and I could feel the adrenaline going through my veins. I stepped forward and faced Baron Arald.
     "Name?" he asked.
     "S-Silver. . ." I answered. "Silver Young."
     Baron Arald nodded encouragingly. "And do you have a preference, Silver?"
     Before I could say anything, I was cut off. By someone I never expected to see speaking.
"I'll take him," the figure in the green cloak said.
I frowned and studied the figure standing behind Baron Arald again. Why would this mysterious figure want to have me as his Apprentice? And besides, I didn't even know what kind of Master he was. I always had been that kind of boy that fights for his rights and life. And once again, I knew it was time to raise my voice. "But sir, who are you?" I asked.
The figure turned back to me and his eyes pierced through mine. Those eyes. I could relate to him in some way, and to be honest, I wanted to see this figure's face. I don't believe I am doomed, but I am certainly cursed and connected with this Craftmaster once I agree to be his Apprentice.
The mysterious figure crossed his arms and replied: "I'll be your Master for five years. Report to me in the woods next to Wensley tomorrow at six o'clock." Then the figure left.
I looked at my wardmates behind me and had this expression on my face — Who is that?
Charlotte mouthed with a feared face: "That is Ranger Will."