| Chapter XVII

I saddled Shimmer and swung my legs across his back. I led him to Tug and Will and said: "I'm ready! But what did Halt mean, yesterday? When he said we were with four? I count myself, you and Halt."
Will chuckled. "You'll see! You're gonna like it so much!"
Then he led Tug away.
I sighed.
Shimmer tilted his head and looked at me. Have you not worked it out yet? he asked.
"Hey, you should be on my side!" I muttered. I gently pressed my foot to Shimmer's ribs and said, just for the sake of changing subject: "Let's show Will how a real Ranger horse runs!"

We both arrived at the destination of the meeting place. I looked around and searched with my eyes for Halt. He wasn't here, yet — he was late. "Now we wait," I said, mainly to myself. I sat down with my back against the tree and pulled the cowl over my head. I leaned backwards and pretended to be taking a nap, but in the meantime, my eyes focused on every single thing and I was watching everything.
That's how I noticed Halt coming. He led his pony to Tug and said: "I'm here." He turned to me and said: "Come here, Silver."
I stood up and cleaned my cloak. "How did you see me?" I walked over to Halt and Will and waited for answer.
"If you blend into the background, don't forget that you cannot move a muscle." Then he defined: "You were moving your toes, as if you were remembering a song in your head. Stop that tic."
I furrowed my eyebrows and then slowly nodded. "I have a question."
"And here I am, without pen or parchment to record this momentous event," Halt sarcastically said.
"Yeah, I get it," I said, then shook it off and said: "What do you mean with four people? Are you really forgetting things?"
"I'm the fourth person," someone behind me said.
It scared me to death. I fell forward and crouched away. Then I sighed in relief when I saw it was just a boy, standing behind me. "Don't ever do that again!" I snapped. I stood up and looked with an annoyed face at the boy.
The boy has brown hair and blue eyes. His facial hear — beard and mustache — were starting to show. He has a symmetrical face with a sharp jawline. Just like me, he was small and was skinny. Although I believe he is stronger than he looks like.
"And you are?" I asked.
The boy smiled and shook my hand. "The name is James. And you are Silver, if I remember correctly?"
I nodded my head. "Correct! You really need to show me how to sneak up behind someone," I said.
"I learned it from Gilan," the boy James answered. "He's my mentor."
"Ah!" I said. "And Gilan is professional sneaker?" I then asked.
James shook his head. "He's the best in moving unseen. And he is the best Ranger I know!"
I shook my head and said: "Oh. . . I have to disagree with that. Will is the best Ranger!"
"Could be true," James said. "Either way, I'm looking forward to pass the exams this year together! You're a freshman too, so we graduate at the same time!"
I raised an eyebrow and was about to reply to that when James suddenly started laughing. "You're just like Will!"
My eyebrow went higher. "And why is that?"
James was finally done laughing and he placed his hand on my shoulder. "Halt raises his eyebrow, Will raises his eyebrow, and it seems like Halt passes on his bad habits to Will, and Will on his turn, passes them to you."
"What's he talking about?" I asked Will.
Will chuckled. "That's a story for another time."

We were already riding for four hours, on our way to the ruins of Gorlan — I really don't understand why you would fall for the same trap! — I finally asked when we would arrive.
"Are we there yet?" I asked.
"Nope," Halt replied. That was it for the conversation.
Will leaned forward to me and said: "Halt means two days."
I sighed. "Why so long? I can't wait that long!"
Next to me, James chuckled. I frowned at him and asked: "Why is everyone always laughing at me?!"
"You're funny," James said. "You should play a comedy show!"
"I'm not a comedian! I am a Ranger! Right, Will?"
I saw that Will was trying so hard not to laugh. And he managed to keep his serious face while he said: "While you ladies are chatting, Halt and I have decided to rest and eat something."
Will got off Tug and stretched. I followed his lead and pressed my forehead against Shimmer's. Then I whispered: "Thank you for carrying me once again!" Just a thank-you for Shimmer. He was not just my horse — he was my friend. Heidi, who had been sitting on the saddle in front of me, now jumped down and stretched her muscles.
I grabbed an apple from the saddlebag and just wanted to give it to Shimmer when an arrow pierced through the fruit. I immediately dropped it and drew my Saxe. I turned around and saw Halt with his longbow.
"No more apples for today," he said with a serious face and with a low threatening voice.
"But I thought. . ." James began.
I looked at him and realized I was about to say just the same thing.
Halt and Will looked to one another, then said together: "You're an Apprentice. You're not ready to think." Then they turned around and started preparing lunch.
James looked at me, I looked at him. "Is he always like that?" James asked me, referring to Will.
"Every time," I sighed. Then we joined the two older Rangers for our well deserved lunch.