Chapter Sixteen

Florence crept into the Med hut cautiously, afraid her footsteps would wake up the Med-jack Keeper sleeping uncomfortably in the chair at the comatose girl's bedside. It was early in the morning, and Clint had taken the night shift the Med-jacks had been rotating so they were watching the girl around the clock. 

In addition to this, they also had to have someone at Ben's bedside to make sure he didn't wake up and go crazy when he saw no one there to stop him. This meant that only one of the three Med-jacks got a good night's sleep in a night, and it was a constant rotation.

Because they were now always busy, Florence hadn't been in the Maze since she had found Ben stung. But she wasn't upset about this. She felt a little traumatised about what had happened, and so she was more than happy to stick to her Med-jack duty for the time being.

Things seemed as though they were settling down now. Sure, Gally recognising Thomas and the girl's arrival shook things up a little, but it seemed as though everything was now returning to normal... As normal as it could be with these things at least.

"Help! Somebody help me!"

Or maybe they weren't.

Curious and concerned about the voice she recognised as Thomas, she crept closer to the outside of the Med hut. As the voice became more high-pitched and alarmed, Florence swung the door open and upon seeing the scene, was very glad she did so.

Thomas had come sprinting out the deadheads, screaming for help with a very much awake Ben on his heels. He was snarling in insanity, his eyes wide and hungry to catch Thomas apparently.

How did he get out of the Homestead? Jeff must've looked away for a split second.

Florence was too far away to reach the scene before Ben had leapt at him, causing Thomas to crash onto the ground. He tried to wriggle away but Ben had an iron firm grip on his ankles,  crawling so he was hovering over him, pinning him to the floor.

What's wrong with him?

Florence began sprinting over, yelling for someone to help. Ben's hands were now clutching at the other boy's throat, trying to strangle him, as the other laid on the ground thrashing about to try and escape. 

Numerous boys across the glade heard the commotion, including Gally, Chuck, Frypan, but the situation was saved by Newt.

Newt whacked Ben over the head with a shovel, causing him to fall back onto the grass where Gally and a few others could restrain him from going at Thomas again. Writhing and wrestling against the people holding him down, Ben growled.

"Calm down!" Gally's voice did nothing to calm Ben. Confused, Frypan turned to where Thomas was leaning on Newt to catch his breath.

"What the hell happened?"

"He just attacked me!" Thomas sounded like he was still terrified. Florence looked to Ben who was panting on the ground before looking back to Thomas.

"He just woke up from the Changing." She answered everyone's internal question of 'what's wrong with Ben' without anyone voicing it to her. She already knew what they were all thinking.

Arriving fashionably late, Alby pushed his way through the crowds, his lips set in a firm line as his eyes set on the disaster of a scene. He knew exactly what had happened.

"Alright - put him in the Slammer."

Ben had suddenly snapped from his fit of insanity and was now begging Alby not to lock him away. It took about five boys to overpower his resistance and carry him over to the Slammer, where Newt called impatiently for the Med-jacks.