chapter ten

Hungarian Horntail'i've been working on my fighting skills

Hungarian Horntail
'i've been working on my fighting skills.'
-Clary Fray

⚯͛

24th November 1994

The sun shone connivingly that morning, for whilst to any peeking eye it would look warm - or perhaps even hot, the moment you stepped outside or opened a window, you would see how wrong you are. For the bitter cold air would pierce your skin like a thousand knives, and you would find yourself running back inside to find a thick coat, along with your scarf and gloves.

Raven found herself up bright and early, as she walked almost robotically towards the Great Hall. The hall was almost empty, aside from a few Ravenclaws, who were hunched over their books, and to Raven's utter surprise, Harry Potter.

Raven found herself heading towards the boy, and sitting down across from him. It felt weird to Raven to be sat on this table at the opposite side of the hall to the Slytherin table, "What are you doing up this early?" Raven asked the Gryffindor boy, as he looked up from his book he was trying to read.

"Oh-um...." Harry said awkwardly, not yet feeling close enough to the girl to tell him all about his nightmare even if she was Sirius' daughter. Even though she didn't know it, "just needed to catch up on some work, what about you?" Harry lied blatantly.

"I always wake up early," Raven admitted, "Normally, when I'm at home I'll watch the sunrise, but the mornings always seem unbearably cold here; it's torture to stay sat on the boat in the mornings."

The two sat in comfortable silence, thousands of thoughts swarming through each of their minds, "Are you nervous?"

Raven sat in thought for a moment, her hands warming up against her mug of tea, "No." She said after a moment of thought, "Not anymore. I've been practicing my fighting skills, you see." Harry laughed as the girl playfully held up her fists.

The lessons where only for half a day; so, whilst the champions were having dinner Professor McGonagall was running around the hall - catching several curious looks - gathering up the champions and sending them down towards the grounds, "Ms. Howendale," The professor called, scurrying over to the girl who was sat beside Hermione at the Gryffindor table, as the girl tried to go over a few more spells, "You need to go down and get ready for the first task."

Raven nodded, "Thank you, professor," Before quickly turning back to Hermione, "Bombarda?" She asked for verification, Hermione nodded, "and that'll distract it enough for me to get past or whatever I need to do?"

Hermione nodded, "If you cast it as I told you."

Raven stood up quickly, "лайна" ("Shit") she muttered under her breath as she looked at the group one more time, "I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die." She muttered as she began walking away.