Chapter 1: Carmen

My thoughts raced as I sprinted toward the clearing in the woods. My heart felt like it would leap out of my chest at any moment. I knew they'd seen me. I knew that if I didn't keep running, I'd end up like anyone else in school who tried to block their path.

Jackie and Aaron were the most infamous "delinquents" in my school. I was supposed to be figuring out why my best friend, Mara, was with them, but some things didn't go according to plan.

"Mara!" Jackie's voice snapped. "Get her!"

Mara yawned. "Get her yourself," she mumbled.

I grinned. "That's my girl."

Aaron growled. "If neither of you will do it, I will."

"No!" Jackie yelled. "I'll do it." 

I forced my legs to move faster. I'd nearly made it out. But if I exited the woods running, I'd look suspicious. The police had already been called, and I didn't want to give them a reason to arrest me when they arrived. I sucked in a heavy breath then looked behind me.

Jackie wasn't exactly on my tail, but she was pretty close.

Deciding to take the risk, I slowed. This, undoubtedly, was a big mistake.

Jackie was suddenly in front of me. She grinned, then lunged at me.

Thanks to the adrenaline rush, I was able to dodge. I forced myself to pick up the pace once more. I breathed a heavy sigh once I emerged from the woods.

A brownish-green minivan was parked in the nearly empty parking lot of the gas station.

With my last burst of energy, I made a mad dash toward the van.

"Thank heavens," the man inside the vehicle breathed. "I thought you'd never come out of there."

"Just step on it, Castar!" I exclaimed. "Someone called the police on them a bit ago!"

Castar scowled. "That's not good." 

"Yeah," I snapped. "So could you like, drive?"

Castar huffed. "Whatever. You better have some useful information when we get back."

Castar was a biologist, and my current employer. I was quite interested in the science field, but biology seemed to speak to me the most. Toward the end of the summer, I was job hunting so I could save up for a new phone and other things my parents wouldn't buy me. I found Castar's ad for an assistant online a few weeks later. It was currently halfway through September. The job wasn't anything to exciting, but it payed well. Although, Castar was a strange man. He was about seven years older than me with long, curly dark blonde hair and brown eyes. He wasn't very tall, but he made up for it with his broad shoulders. Overall, I'd say he wasn't revolting. It was mostly his...personality that was questionable. He'd only been out of college for a few years and wasn't part of any really big or important research projects. This seemed to get to him quite often.

"You've been staring out of the window for a while now," Castar observed.

"I'm thinking," I huffed.

"Understandable," Castar muttered. "Although, you should probably start telling me about what happened."

"I overheard Aaron telling Mara that she was supposed to meet them at the abandoned warehouse at ten thirty tonight," I explained. "That's why I asked you to be out here this late. I'm sorry if I've caused you trouble..."

Castar sighed. "I assume your parents don't know about this."

I nodded.

"You must trust me a lot," Castar mumbled. "When I was sixteen I wouldn't have gotten into a car with anyone but my parents."