Chapter 39: The Promise From That Day

Haruto was taken aback. He was shocked.
“You really don’t remember?”
“Yea.. but ever since I remember..I wondered what was the purpose of that experiment.. but now.. I think I know…”
Haruto looked towards ichiri and continued.
“It’s an experiment to see whether the time leaping can transcend death right? That would explain the mechanism of the box and the impossibility of the puzzle.”
“Yea..my father didn’t tell me the details but..in that experiment.. Aoi was supposed to die first. Then you were supposed to leap back into time to save her. And when you die by leaping and saving her. Aoi would leap back herself and save you. That way .. nobody would have to die… well atleast that was the plan…”
“I see..”
“Well the . See--”
“wait!!” shouted Haruto
“No” said Ichiri immediately.
“I haven’t said anything yet dr Ichiri..”
“I know what you were about to say. You want to return to 7 years ago right?”
“That’s… true..” said Haruto being embarassed..
“I won’t allow..”
“But why?”
“Look here.. it’s simple.. if you were to return..it would only lead to your death..”
“But if we were about to do just as the experiment says.. then we both could live right?”
“Yes.. if everything was according to the original plan.. you would be sent back to 7 years ago.. but nothing happened..7 years passed .. that’s because my father and I stopped the experiment in the mid way..so even if you would return.. It would still be the same.. you would die.. Aoi would live.. and I and my dad would stop the experiment midway.. for both to live.. you both have to go back to the past. And aoi can’t be able to do that..”
“How can you say that.. maybe it’s possible t—”
“haruto.. do you really think that seven years later… Aoi would cooperate with my time leaping experiment.. would confront Ishiuchi and Kikusui ..do all the things that you did and talk to me and Kikusui right here.. ?”
He didn’t say anything..
“Or Haruto.. you really think that you would sacrifice and let Aoi Live?”
“That’s…”
Seeing this the director speaks up..
“I don’t really get it.. but wouldn’t Haruto get enough time to speak to you when he leaps back. Can’t he just leave a message for the girly asking her to leap back.?”
“Kikisui.. that won’t work.. I know myself.. and the me from seven years ago won’t co-operate with them.. weren’tyou rigid 4 years too kikusui?”
“ I guess so..”
“ and in the timeline where Aoi is saved..it’s also possible that you may not forgive me..and LMD’s research won’t be found.. nothing would be good except for Aoi being alive.. “
“Hmm..”
Ichiri looked at Haruto and asked..
“Do you still wish to go back knowing this? Nobody would praise you if you die that way..”
“I… really don’t know..”
“Well If you don’t know.. then I would go back to my clinic and dispose everything.. is that fine?”
The director objected..
“Hey! Don’t rush him to take decisions.. give him some time.. you don’t want him to regret later. You know that pretty well don’t you?..”
“Fine .. but I can’t promise you to wait for longer period. I’ll be in my clinic..”
Saying this Ichiri left..
Director looked at Haruto and said.
“Think hard about it.. I’ll stay here for a while..”
“Yes.. I’ll take my leave then”
Haruto left.
Director stared at the wall where the message was written..
“I don’t know what’s right kanna.. but.. I hope things get well..”

Haruto went out and came near the garden of the hospital. He met Riku and saki there. They had a little chat. And they tried to cheer him up. After an afternoon chit chat. They left.
Haruto decided something…
‘ alright.. I made up my mind.’
Saying this he went to dr Ichiri’s clinic. As he entered he saw the director there.
“Director?!”
“Ohh so you decided.. alright come with me..”
They both entered his cabin. Ichiri was standing near the machine. They both looked at Haruto who was just about to say about his decision..
“ have you decided?” asked ichiri..
“Yes.. I’ve decided.. dr Ichiri.. please.. dispose of everything..”
They were quite shocked.the director asked Haruto.
“Haruto! Is that really okay with you?”
“Yes..I think it’s the the right thing to do..”
“Alright..then.. Ichiri we should get everything related to that and burn them”
Thw director and dr Ichiri started discussing near the machine.
Haruto wondered for a while. 'is this really what I want?.. am I not gonna regret my life?..’ just then all the words that Aoi said ..flashed to him ..

And then

And then.. a big thing that made him realise that it wasn’t what he wanted..

Haruto turned around and shouted

“Dr ichiri!!”
Both of them turned around in a shock. Haruto continued..
“Let me take all that back!.. please.. please send me back to 7 years ago..”
“um… but why ? Didn’t you just say that you didn’t wanna go? Why are you changing it now?”
“See I know this might look like I’m taking a wrong decision.. but I have to keep it..”
“Keep what?”
“The promise ! I made a promise! With Aoi! That I’ll see her again! They we’llmeet each other again..!”
“Haruto that’s not enough..”
“Im not saying that I’ll sacrifice myself!.. I know that she’ll come back.. we’llfind the cure of LMD too.. please I trust her..!”
The director spoke up.
“Haruto it’s easy to say that you trust somebody..but when you die.. and sacrifice for her. She might not come back to this town after 7 years and co-operate just like you did. She might get onto some other high school.. date a boy or two.. and forget everything about you”
“She might like someone else but I know that she won’t forget the promise.. she would come back. She would meet me.. we promised!!”
There was a pause for a moment. The director continued.
“Alright.. I believe in you”
“Kikusui!!?” said Ichiri..
“Yes.. we can’t say anything to this boy. If we can’t argue his protest why not let him try it.. we all have made promises. You did too Ichiri.. weren’tyou determined to go back?.. and you should know this boy more than I do..”
Ichiri looked at Haruto and spoke..
“Haruto.. I don’t know if this will succeed or not.. but the bond you and Aoi share is something I can’t comprehend…. Fine Haruto.. if you really believe..that she will return. Then I will believe in you..”
“Dr Ichiri! Thank you very much! Thanks to you too director kikusui..”
“Well we are even now Haruto. Thanks to you too?” said the director. Ichiri then spoke up.
“Fine Haruto.. this …

Will be the last time leap..”
To be continued…