━━━━ xvi

"GOOD EVENING, MR

"GOOD EVENING, MR. campbell," leah said to the man as he opened the door to his house. "this is my friend spencer."

spencer nodded his head towards the man, and the man smiled at him awkwardly before turning back towards leah as she continued. "you're sure you don't mind us looking around?"

"of course not, my dear," he replied. "look all you want."

leah mumbled a thank you to him as the two agents entered the house, looking around. it was a nice little house, with green painted walls lit up by warm white lights. it was a two story house, as leah saw the stairs that led to another floor. the hallway the stairs led to were dark- the lights were off and she saw two different doors. she assumed one was their bedroom, and the other was their bathroom.

leah started walking up the stairs, keeping her eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

spencer saw her do this and started following her towards the staircase.

leah walked into one of the rooms at the top of the stares, seeing it was a dark bedroom with maroon colored walls. the floor and the bed were clean, but the three different dressers in the room were covered with multiple little items.

which was a bad thing. anything could have a significance.

while spencer looked around in the closet in the bedroom, leah looked on top of the first dresser- the closest one to her. there were piles of clothes on it, both women's and men's clothes, and nothing looked suspicious.

she moved towards the second dresser- which was a lot more cluttered than the first one. it was just piled with random things- scattered papers (mostly bills), some jewelry, and even some makeup.

and then she checked the last dresser- which wasn't really a dresser at all, more like a vanity mirror with a desk and drawers attached to it.

it wasn't very cluttered at all. there were a few pieces of jewelry that hung from the mirror, a closed cylindrical container and a wooden box.

leah grabbed the cylinder container first, taking the top off and opening it. there were pictures in there- pictures of her and greg. she had always asked agnes why she didn't have kids- to which agnes's answer was always "i don't know, ask my husband." there was also a ring in the container, along with a dead leaf- which was weird to her until she pulled a paper out of the container saying "a leaf from the first rose he got me."

and then she picked up the box, opening it. and it was empty, besides a lone black string that lay near one of the four corners.

however, there seemed to be something else. leah had went to close the box, giving up on trying to find anything that looked suspicious- until she saw a reflection come from inside the box. it was just a small glare of white, as if there was something hidden under the bottom of the box.

leah then went to pick up the black string, to see if it was in the way of anything else. although, in doing so, the entirety of the bottom of the box was removed.

except, it wasn't the bottom of the box. no, it was just some sort of covering, in order to hide a secret compartment.

in that part of the box, there was nothing but a pen- a pen that looked just like the one that leah found in the pocket of the dress agnes was buried in, and a piece of paper that had some type of message on it- although it was really hard to make it out.

she looked over to spencer, who was still looking in the closet

she looked over to spencer, who was still looking in the closet. she waited until he turned to look at her. "did you find something?"

leah just raised her eyebrows in confusion, looking down at the paper. "i-i don't know," she replied. "do you know what this means?" she handed the small slip of paper over to spencer, which he took and examined it. he squinted his eyes and raised his eyebrows, giving leah a sign that he as well had no idea what it meant.

"do you want to go back to your place and do some research?" spencer asked her, looking up at her.

"yeah, i think i do," she looked up at him. "let's go."

the two agents walked down the stairs, swiftly saying goodbye to greg before leaving the house.

leah knew the paper meant something, and she wasn't going to stop until she found Out what it said.