Chapter Thirteen: Codebreaker, Part Two

Kate led us into the woods, after a while I recognised the voices of Scott and Derek. I frowned in confusion as Kate whispered to Allison, telling her to shoot Derek. 'No!' I yelled, sprinting over to them and catching Derek as he fell. Another arrow flew into his leg. 'Stop it!' I screeched.

'Flash Bolt,' I heard her instruct Allison.

'Scott,' I shouted, 'Your eyes!' But he just stood there, staring at Allison in shock. A bright flash of light erupted from the arrow and he fell to the ground.

Derek grabbed Scott and began to run, 'Get up, let's go!'

'Allison, I can explain,' Scott begged as she glared at him.

'Stop lying. For once, stop lying,' she spat.

'I was gonna tell you the truth at the formal. I was gonna tell you everything. Because everything that I said, everything that I did...'

'Was to protect me.'

'Yes.'

'I don't believe you,' tears brimmed her eyes.

'Thank God. Now, shoot him before I have to shoot myself,' Kate groaned.

Allison frowned, 'You... you said we were just gonna catch them.'

'We did that. Now we're gonna kill them,' she shot Derek in the leg, 'See? Not that hard.'

'Kate, you promised you wouldn't,' I begged.

'I promised I wouldn't hurt you, I said nothing about these two,' she chuckled.

'What are you talking about?' Allison asked.

'You're dear cousin's one of them,' this made Allison stare at me in shock. I hung my head. 'Now kill him.' But she  couldn't. 'Oh... I know that look. That's the "you're gonna have to do it yourself" look,' she clicked her tongue before pointed her gun at Scott.

'Kate, Kate, what are you doing?' Allison tried to stop her but was pushed to the ground. I was still frozen in shock, clinging to Derek.

'I love those brown eyes,' Kate sighed in disappointment.

'Kate!' Uncle Chris made his way up to us, 'I know what you did. Put the gun down.'

'I did what I was told to.'

'No one asked you to murder innocent people. There were children in that house, ones that were human.'

'I did it because he had to pay for what he did to our sister!' Kate yelled.

Chris frowned, 'Who?'

She rolled her eyes. 'Come on, Chris. You're not seriously still clueless?' she chuckled, 'Lucas Hale. The asshole that seduced our sister. The one that got her pregnant, the one that got her killed!'

A single tear ran down my cheek as I tried to process what she just said. Lucas Hale. I looked over at Derek but he couldn't meet my eyes.

Chris stared at me in shock for a second before taking another cautious step towards Kate. 'You're holding a gun at a sixteen-year-old boy with no proof that he spilled human blood. We go by the code, nous chassons ceux qui nous chassent.'

Allison frowned, 'We hunt those who hunt us.'

Kate flexed her finger that rested on the trigger, but Chris pointed his pistol at her. 'Put the gun down,' she didn't back down and so he shot the tree behind her, 'Before I put you down.' She scowled, lowering her gun.

Suddenly, the door to the Hale House creaked open. 'Allison, Ariana, get back,' Allison, Scott and I stumbled to our feet, backing away.

'What is it?' Allison shakily asked.