Chapter 12

Day Before

After the "training incident" Cobra has started hanging around the guild less and less. Natsu would come but occasionally but not even the kids would and it was extensively starting to worry everyone.

"We've really gone to far." Natsu over heard Erza and Grays' conversation.

"Yeah, you think? I had no idea those were the same cloaks the dark guild wore, I just picked them up from a shop in town."

"If there was a way to make it up to him we would..."

"I only wanted to help... As he was he would not have survived in the games..."

"If he comes in we'll talk to him."

"He'd sooner die than let us near him. I saw the look he gave me- he genuinely thought I was one of the bad guys..."

"We screwed up."

"Yeah...."

~~~
"Cobra..." Natsu said hesitantly from the kitchen door. It was early in the morning a few days after everything had happened. Cobra was in his usual morning spot at their dining table with a cup of coffee. She could smell his concoction of coffee, venom, and cinnamon. But instead of greeting her like he usually did, he took no notice of her call and just stared at the black liquid in his cup. Cobra wasn't one to think deeply often so whenever he did Natsu knew something was really wrong.

"Cobra... Honey..?" Natsu walked up to him and put a hand on his arm, making him jump. He looked at her surprised, she didn't need his magic to know he was wondering when she got there, and how long she had been there.

"What's wrong..." She asked soothingly.

The tan males ears twitched; he's always liked it when Natsu uses her soft feminine voice, it calmed him and he just in general enjoyed hearing it.

He opened his mouth to say something but shut himself up with a disgruntled "It's nothing" and took a drink from his mug. Natsu took it from him and held it in her hands.

"It's not nothing, you've been staring at the mug sense you got up, talk to me."

His purple orb flicked to her and wouldn't meet her own onyx gaze. He closed his eye and sighed, his hands going to his face as he rested his elbows on the table.

"I'm just... Thinking..."

"That I noticed." Natsu pulled a chair out and sat down next to him. "About what?"

He didn't reply at first. She could feel his unease and fear radiating off him like a powerful lacrima. She was about to say something but Cobra spoke.

"What if they come back..." His voice was quiet and hoarse, like he'd been crying... "The dark guild- they never confirmed they were caught or died or... What if they come looking for us, Natsu? What if they capture us again, or our sons! What if they torture our children?!" He looked so scared... Natsu stared at his face, he had bags under his eyes and his good eye was dull... He was even getting pale. He was literally worrying himself sick.

"Cobra..." She put one of her hands behind his head and ran her fingers through his hair, making sure to rub his scalp a little and even get around his sensitive ears. A low hum started in his chest like always whenever she rubbed his ears. "It's been so many years now Cobra... If they really wanted us back they would have done something by now."

"But we were hiding then!" He insisted. "We were in our little town, with normal friends-a normal family.... Now were heading off to the... Grand Magic Games and putting it publicly out there that we are back! We're so easy to find now-"