Chapter 5( hurtful flashback)

Start from the beginning

He kept thinking he was going to wake up and he'd still be that useless little shadow, except it wouldn't hurt so much, because nobody was using him he wouldn't be a tool. He would be ignored and it wouldn't hurt. He didn't. No matter how many times he went to sleep he didn't wake up. He was still going to Hopes Peak High and he was still the Ultimate Lucky Student and he was still a shadow and he was still a tool.

But, he smiled, he faked it and he tried his hardest to ignore the PAIN. Junko Enoshima.

Ultimate High School level fashionista.

His classmate and currently talking to him like a real person.

"So... Naegi-chan, what did you used to do for fun before Hopes Peak?" She was sat on her desk facing towards him, elegantly folding on leg atop the other as she lent forward chin resting in her palm.

"I... I used to go on bike rides on my motorcycle..." He's hesitant, why wouldn't he? This was the Ultimate fashionista she lived in a world of celebrity royalty and money and unrealistic superficial lives. He's probably messing up his entire existence just by talking to her.

But the way her face lights up and she asks him more, like what bike does he have? What colour is it? How long has he had it? When did he learn to ride it? Simple questions, questions he'd never been asked before.

He doesn't hesitate to answer though, why would he? He's being treated like a person. Not a shadow, not a tool. A person. A genuine person.

"That's so cool Naegi-chan! Me and boring big sis over there didn't do stuff like that, my manager says it's 'not appropriate'." She makes air quotations when she says not appropriate and he can understand where she's coming from. It must of been annoying to live your life being dictated to, so maybe his first assumption of her was wrong.

"Enoshima-san! Please remove your feet from your chair and sit properly! Sitting on the desk is prohibited!" He finds himself making a small smile when the blonde playfully rolls her eyes and mimics what Ishimaru just said to her as she slips off the desk and salutes the Ultimate Moral Compass. Ishimaru is another one that is nice to him, though he also doesn't quote see him as human.

"Thank you! Have a nice day!" The black haired boy nods and marches back to his desk where he resumes his conversation with Mondo and Fujisaki.

"Sometimes I feel like his compass needle is shoved up his ass..." his eyes are blown wide and he snorts a little , gaining attention from his classmates not that he knows it, and covers his mouth as Junko winks at him from her chair which she's sitting backwards on. She tilts her head and makes a mocking cute face, "What? I didn't say anything did I?"

His laughter dies down and their conversation resumes but he can't believe it. For once he's being acknowledged like a person and Junko Enoshima is the first to do it.

-*-

He knows that he promised himself that he would be kind and caring and keep pushing onwards but there are times when he thinks about his promisees to himself and just thinks on how big an idiot he was.

His kindness is mistaken for weakness, his caring of others is taken and abused by opertunists and no matter how hard he tries he's necer going to be able to reach the others level. They were born at the top and he's just going to have to live his life thirty steps behind them.

-*-

Mizano hasn't done so much as even look at him since they joined Hopes Peak, her lies about being excited to be in high school with him quickly being forgotten as she finds much more lively and famous people to hang around with. But it doesn't stop her from coming crying to him when she has a problem and begging him to help her. Because he went through this right? He can help her.