Chapter 3

Makoto slowly opened his eyes to find himself alone in the middle of nothingness. Just a cold, empty place with no light expect for his own.

Huh? Where....Where am I? Everything is so dark and cold....

How...How did I get here anyways?

"You were the catalyst of The Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the history of Mankind!"

! Oh...That's right...

I'm the Mastermind. I joined with Junko just because I couldn't handle being bullied... I was the one who erased everyone's memories... I was the one pulling all the strings...

A hopeless smile grew on his face. Heh....Who am I kidding? I'm not the Ultimate Hope. I never was. His eyes slowly turn crimson. Maybe being the Ultimate Despair isn't so bad after all...

The young brunet snapped out of his own thoughts when he felt a familiar yet surprisingly rough hand on his shoulder.

Oi, Makoto... He paused once he felt the threatening aura coming from the person behind him. When he slowly looked over his shoulder, a reflection of himself looked down at him with a smile, even though he could tell that it wasn't because he was happy.

What with these horrible thoughts plaguing our mind like this? There's only supposed to be one negative Makoto around here, and that's me.

The brunet didn't respond, prompting his other self to grab him by the hood.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO YOURSELF?! DON'T YOU WANT TO BE WITH THEM?!

Makoto averted his eyes, the hope in his eyes were gone, making them blank and empty. What's the use anyway? After all, I'm not even the real Makoto Naegi. I'm anything but that. I'm just the trash you never afford to take out.

He clenched the hood tightly in rage. OI! DON'T YOU DARE GET TAKEN OVER BY OUR DESPAIR! YOU HEAR ME, MAKOTO!?!

Silence echoed throughout the echoing space until he gently placed the empty shell down only to pick him up onto his back. ....Fine. Since you're so stubborn...I'll take you there myself.

The monochrome clad teen shuffled through the feelings of hopelessness with ease. Being his negative emotions, he was immune to its deceptive ways.

However, his main focus was to get his optimistic half out of here before he loses the small amount of hope he has left.

His body already feels so cold...It's only a matter of time before- He stopped once he felt his other self's hand clench tightly onto the hood. Simultaneously, he stumbled a bit once he felt a sudden surge of positive energy empowering his whole body.

This....This feeling...Is this what 'hope' feels like? Knowing that his other self is still alive, he clenched his teeth and continued.

No....I can't let him die here....We have to keep going..! He looked up to see a faint light shining brightly right before their very eyes. We're almost there, Makoto! Just...a few more steps..!

The light grew brighter and brighter until it enveloped everything around it.

Kyouko watched as the brunet stirred from his sleep, his left eye was bright red in contrast to the other's dark brown.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah." He repiled as he got out of the throne.

"Alright then..." She gently smiled while reaching her hand to his. "Shall we go?"

Makoto stopped before smiling happily.

"Yeah. Let's go."