Chapter 5( hurtful flashback)

He hadn't ever been anything but a shadow.

Komaru was more important

Jobs were more important

Talent was more important

Other people were more important

Other people's problems were more important.

But he tried his hardest, it didn't matter if he was a shadow. He would be kind, he would be caring and he would push on... because something had to give right? Everything wouldn't be for nothing. It couldn't be.

Then he won the lottery. Ten million yen, he'd picked the most random numbers on earth, numbers he hadn't put in since he'd won two yen when he was three. Then he'd won his bike, a sports motorbike that had a one in thirty thousand chance of winning, he didn't even remember applying but there it was real and tangible in front of his house.

After that he won school elections, even though barley anybody knew him, he kept winning raffle after raffle and then sometimes he'd lose spectacularly. He'd lost his sisters favourite toy because he believed his luck would hold and it backfired, his bike was stolen and returned scratched up and beaten.

He was still a shadow.

Komaru was still more important

Jobs were still more important

Talent was still more important

Other people were stilll more important

Oher people's problems were still more important

But he still tried his hardest. He still was kind, he still was caring and he still pushed. He prayed, he begged, he made offetry and he even placed everything on his luck hoping, just hoping it would work out. Because this bizarre stroke of luck he'd had over the past year and a half had to be a sign. It had to be a sign that the world was giving him some leeway.

Good things had been happening, bad things had been happening but it had always worked out in the end right? Sure his bike got stolen, but the insurance money he got helped him buy a new, better bike. Sure his sister lost her toy but it gave his parents the opportunity to help her grow out of that childish faze.

Then he got the letter.

He won

He got in

He'd finally done it

He was going to Hopes Peak

He wasn't a shadow anymore

Life had given way and let him win

And he wasn't a shadow, people spoke about him, congratulated him, welcomed him. But it was empty... They didn't know him, they didn't care. They wanted the spotlight the fame the chance to say 'I knew a Hopes Peak student before he went there' he was still a shadow. Just now he was a shadow with a purpose.

But he smiled.

It was fine

It didn't hurt

He'd won, he'd done it

Everything was great Nothing was wrong

He just kept smiling

He just kept fake smiling

The school year ended quicker than he'd expected and he was amazed on the last day when his classmate of three years, Mizano Sayaka - Ultimate junior high Idol, a girl who hadn't even looked at him once- told him she couldn't wait to see him next year. She was excited to be going to school with him. But it still felt fake.