Chapter Two

~Legolas P.O.V.~

    I stand in one corner of the room, trying my best to become invisible. Balls are always dreadful for me. I would much rather be out at the practice fields or patrolling the forest of Mirkwood. I can only take so many ridiculous, wanton young elleth trying their best to capture my attention. If only they would take the hint that I honestly cannot stand them nor do I find them attractive in the slightest. They only care about my title as prince of Mirkwood. They care nothing about me or my feelings. It seems as if no one does anymore. People treat me as if I have no feelings or emotions or a brain to think with. Afterall, I am just a prince. Nothing more.

    Normally I do not pay any attention to who comes into the room, but when the door opens this time, my eyes are immediately drawn, as if by fate, to the figure who enters. An elleth walks hesitantly into the room, her small and graceful figure catching my attention instantly. I push myself off of the wall that I was leaning against and take a couple of steps forward out of instinct. My gaze is glued to the mysterious elleth, and I cannot bring myself to look away from her. A weird yet extremely pleasant feeling buzzes throughout my body.

    Her fiery red hair falls into luxurious curls down her back, and small braids are weaved into the soft-looking tresses. Her floor-length gown is a gorgeous emerald green color that goes perfectly with her porcelain skin. She wears a matching green mask which has black and green feathers and milky-white pearls adorning it. My heart clenches painfully in my chest, wishing that I could see her face.

    I watch her intently as she makes her way through the massive crowd of elves, her head bowed as if she is trying to not be noticed. Jealousy overcomes me for a moment as I see several ellon turning to watch her as she walks, and I begin to slowly push my way through the crowd. I have to get to her. I need to know who she is.

    My eyes never leave her as I make my way towards her, not even when a few elleth try to stop me in my tracks and flirt shamelessly. I only push past them and continue my trek towards her. I attempt to control my emotions as I walk so that I do not scare her away when I finally reach her, but I find it impossible to get the overwhelming passion and love I have for this female, this stranger, out of my heart. I do not understand these strange and overwhelming feelings. All I know is that I must get to her. Nothing will be right if I do not reach her.

    She is only a few feet away now, and her back is facing me. She stops walking as if she feels the strange, magnetic force that is pulling us together. I stop as I reach her. She is close enough for me to touch her, for me to smell the sweet scent that emanates from her skin. My mind feels fuzzy, and I find it hard to concentrate in her presence. I want to say something to her, anything, but I cannot find the words to say. My throat is excessively dry and my heart is pounding in my chest. Never in my entire immortal life have I felt this way about a woman, let alone a stranger.

    My heart stops in my chest for a moment as she turns around slowly to face me. Her head is lowered as she stares at the small amount of marble floor that is between our feet. She is shy.

    A smile makes its way to my lips as I stare adoringly at her. She is shy! I find that to be completely irresistible, and I fight the immense urge to take her into my arms right here in the middle of this crowded ball room. My eyes analyse the only feature I can see of her face that is not covered by her mask. Her lips. They are small, pink, and soft-looking, and the desire to feel them on mine is unbearable.

I clear my throat to prepare to speak to her, but I never get a chance to open my mouth because she suddenly begins to move. She moves her head from looking at the ground, and her eyes slowly move up my figure until her gaze meets mine. My breath catches in my throat as her eyes look deeply into mine. Her eyes are a brilliant, shining emerald green color that matches the color of her dress. I am close enough to her to see the golden flecks of color that swim in the deep pools of green. She looks at me in such a way that has pure and raw passion pumping through my veins and causing my heart to beat so fast that I am afraid it will explode. All thoughts of what I was going to say have completely vanished, and I am left staring dumbly at her.