Chapter Ten

Legolas POV

    I sit at the head of the long table of elves in the dining hall of Lothlorien, distantly hearing what Lord Celeborn is saying to me. I nod and smile and fake a laugh at all of the right points in the conversation. Normally, I would listen intently to his humorous stories and my laughter and my smiles would be completely genuine, but my brain is too befuddled with thoughts of Eilonwy to care what he has to say.

    I watch the tall double doors of the dining hall intently, becoming more and more agitated when an elf enters that is not her. I begin to tap my fingers on the wooden table in impatience. Is she even going to come? She acted as if she was trying her hardest to flee from my very presence when she was in the library! Maybe I imagined the look of recognition in her eyes when she looked upon me. Her blush may have been from the heat of the day. The mere idea of her reciprocating my feelings is but a beautiful dream.

    Someone clears their throat, snapping me from my thoughts. I look up to see Lady Galadriel staring at me with a knowing smirk. I glance at Lord Celeborn, hoping that he has not noticed my lack of attention, but he is now happily speaking and laughing with Haldir who is seated to my right.

    It is rude not to listen to someone when they are speaking to you, Lady Galadriel’s mirthful voice resounds throughout my mind.

    My gaze meets her’s once again, a guilty smile on my face. It is not my fault that my thoughts are a bit preoccupied at this moment in time, I reply, almost sarcastically.

    She places her hand over her mouth, attempting to stifle a laugh. Lord Celeborn stops speaking for a moment and turns to look at her after seeing her quick movements from the corner of his eye. He gives her a curious look as if wondering what joke he has been left out of. In response, she takes her hand away from her lips, placing it in her lap along with her other hand and intertwining her fingers. She tilts her head and raises her eyebrow slightly at her husband as if saying “What?”, and he stares at her suspiciously for a moment before resuming his conversation with Haldir.

    Her gaze falls back on mine for a moment before flitting towards the massive double doors of the dining hall. I follow her stare, wondering what has suddenly caught her attention.

    Time seems to slow down as I watch Eilonwy step determinedly into the dining hall. She now wears a long flowing dress, the purple color of the material causing her porcelain skin to shine as if the light of a thousand stars has been imbedded in it. Her emerald eyes stay trained on the floor as she walks towards the head of the table, only leaving the marble floor every once in a while to make sure she is walking in the right direction. Her hair is braided on top, leaving the rest to fall down to her waist in fiery curls. My heart begins to race in my chest as I realize the seat in front of me, the one beside Galadriel, is empty.

    Eilonwy reaches the table and sits down in the seat across from me quietly, as if she is trying to go unnoticed, but her wish is not granted.

    “Eilonwy, I am glad you have joined us. For a moment, I was afraid you would go without eating,” Lord Celeborn says to her with a fatherly smile.

    She shifts in her seat to face him and smiles beautifully, causing my breath to catch in my throat. “I am sorry that I took so long to arrive. I was desperately in need of a bath after today’s practice,” she says enthusiastically with a light laugh escaping her lips at the end of her statement.

    Lord Celeborn and his wife laugh heartily at her comment, and Haldir grins at her. Confusion sweeps over my mind like nighttime sweeps over the sky.