21. Perfect Families

As summer approached, I began to feel anxious. During my usual Summer Holidays, I would go to my family home for two weeks, with only the company of house-elves, and then end up at the Burrow or Grimmauld Place for the rest of summer with Ron; Harry and Hermione would usually join with two or three weeks left of the Holidays. This summer, I have no home to go to and no surrogate home to go to.

Lily started to notice my slowly depressing demeanour and reluctance to join in on summer plan discussions. During one of our group discussions, Lily asked me to help her find a book on Numerology for our Arithmancy final. There were only three weeks left until holidays which meant the upcoming of studying for finals and pre-testing for N.E.W.T.s next year.

"Are you alright, Aurora?" Lily said softly as we combed through the shelves.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" I answered absentmindedly.

"Hm, what are you doing this summer?"

"Uh, probably nothing exciting. S-spend time with my family or something," I said slowly, chewing the inside of my cheek.

I hated lying to Lily and I hated talking about summer plans. After this conversation, I planned on going to Professor Dumbledore's office and asking about what I am to do about Summer Holidays. I'd most likely not be able to stay at Hogwarts during the unattended months, but maybe I'd be able to go somewhere or do something about it.

"Oh, will you be busy?" she asked.

"Busy how?" I sighed and walked around the bookcase to look at the other section, mostly trying to hide my sad face from Lily.

"Too busy to not— er— hang out with me during the summer?" Lily said shyly.

I popped out from behind the bookshelf and looked at Lily. She looked nervous, as if she were to offend me with her question.

"Y-you mean spend the summer with you?" I breathed.

"I mean, maybe not the whole summer because you'll be busy but—"

"I think my parents wouldn't mind if I—" I cut myself off and took a deep breath, "Actually, Lily, I have something to tell you."

"What's wrong?" Lily began to worry and stepped out from her side of the bookshelf and walked over to me.

"It's just that— My entire family is full of pureblood Slytherins— no, no it's nothing like that," I quickly added as Lily's eyes widened to the size of tea plates. "It's just that, I've been... disowned? M-My family is big on Slytherin morales and strict on blood purity. I– I hate it! I challenged them on all of that and on top of the fact that I've been sorted into Gryffindor and not Slytherin like the rest of them—"

"They've kicked you out?" Lily breathed.

I nodded and Lily threw her arms around me quickly and rocked me in a tight hug.

"Why have you never told me?" she shouted and pulled back, gripping my shoulders. "Is that why you stayed here during Christmas Holidays? Is that the reason you've been so sad lately or is it Sirius's fault? No, don't answer that! Aurora, you should have told me!"

"I didn't want you to worry," I said sheepishly.

Lily groaned and pulled me back into another tight hug.

"Please don't ever lie to me about your family and things like this ever again," Lily scolded me.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to worry or burden you with—"

"Rory, you're one of my best friends! You could never burden me! Worry me? Yes. But burden me? Never," Lily said firmly.

"Alright," I sighed heavily. "I promise I won't do it again."