9. Quidditch

After Friday Detention with Mr Filch, Sirius tried to apologize to me the entire walk back to the Gryffindor common room.

"If you think I'm some girl who just falls at every guys' feet with a simple apology, then you need to find yourself another girl," I shouted at him and walked through the portrait hole.

Per usual, James, Remus, and Peter were sitting in the common room waiting for Sirius to come back. James opened his mouth to say something to me, but I gave him a pointed look and ran past him, up the stairs to the girls' dormitories.

The next week consisted of the anticipation of the first Quidditch game of the season. James was made Quidditch Seeker for the fifth year in a row, according to Lily, so he received lots of letters and gifts up until the game. Lily seemed annoyed with all the parcels and envelopes on our part of the table, but I believe she was more annoyed at the fact that James was getting love from others than the parcels covering the table.

Sirius, Remus, and Peter joined Lily and me in the Quidditch stands on the day of the match; Marlene had Wizards Chess Club during the game so she didn't come with us. It was against Hufflepuff, instead of Slytherin as it usually was for Harry— things changed. Such was the popularity of Quidditch that the whole school turned out to watch the match as usual, but we ran down the lawns toward the Quidditch field, heads bowed against the ferocious wind. The cold wind whipped around us and I was thankful it wasn't raining or snowing. The sky was full of clouds, but they weren't grey with precipitation. The sun was hidden, though, causing it to be colder then it was.

Lily Charmed our cloaks to be self warming and insulated, I was ever so grateful. The three boys stood next to us, Sirius was on my right, too close for my liking being I was still angry at him.

The Hufflepuffs were approaching from the opposite side of the field, wearing canary-yellow robes, as the Gryffindors met them in the middle. The Captains, Xavier Wilson and Alexander Paterson, walked up to each other and shook hands. Madam Hooch put her whistle to her lips and gave it a blast that sounded shrill and distant — they were off.

All of the players wobbled through the air as the harsh wind blew. The sky was getting darker, as though night had decided to come early. Twice James nearly hit another player, earning a few gasps from Lily and me. As the game progressed, I tried to not pay attention to Sirius's attempt of snaking his arm around my waist and slowly pulling me into him.

It didn't last long as Lily and I cheered widely at the two goals Gryffindor made. James flew higher, dodging a Blunger, and set off on a wide lap of the pitch, looking for the Golden Snitch. On the other side of the stadium, the Hufflepuff Seeker was doing exactly the same.

"And it's Andrews, Andrews with the Quaffle, what a player—" her commentary was nothing compared to Lee Jordan or even Luna Lovegood "—and she's ducked Warden, she's passed Wilson, she's — ouch — been hit from behind by a Bludger from Howell... Wilson catches the Quaffle, Howell heading back up the pitch and — nice Bludger there from Victor Lays, that's a Bludger to the head for Wilson, he drops the Quaffle, caught by Jeffery King, Jeffery King of Gryffindor reverse passes to Angelina Cole and Cole's away —"

Lily and I grabbed each other and began screaming and cheering as we watched Cole make her way to score.

"— dodges Warden, avoids a Bludger — close call, Cole—"

I don't think I've ever seen Lily this excited before. I tried to find James, but he was whizzing through the throng of players, that I couldn't catch up.

"— and Cole passes back to Andrews!" The commentator shouted, excitedly. "Come on now, Andrews — looks like she's got just the Keeper to beat! — SHE SHOOTS — SHE — aaaah..."