Chapter 9

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ◦ ❖ ◦ ━━━━━━

Lisa had always thought the food that was given to her since she was imprisoned was pitiful, but right now she was glad to have eaten every single meal that was given to her. For if she didn't, she would've fainted and died even before her fight begins.

She was not in a position where she'd take offense when her opponent mocked her when he promised he'd use a dagger against her. "There isn't anything rewarding when a man wins a fight against a woman. Let's at least make it fair and entertaining."

Good, that gives her a chance to win this fight now. Because truthfully speaking, there's just no way a dagger could win against a sword fight or the pathetic rusty sword she was given. Yes, she's good with her dagger, but she had to be realistic. He surely has more experience than her when it comes to combat and would gladly kill for entertainment, so this fight would not even last a minute if he were to use that sword of his. He was already huge and him with a sword would've given him the advantage of distance and reach—the big distance where he can hit her and the distance that she can't hit him.

But now, he can underestimate her all he wants, she could use that to her advantage.

The fight was to the death and all her focus was on how to stay alive long enough to figure out the 'killing' part. This is no animal prey, not a deer, not a rabbit to hunt—but a human, breathing and very much alive.

She failed it last time she was in the forest, just a mere eye contact from a deer made her drop her dagger. But this...this was no training. There is no such thing as calling it a day and trying it out again tomorrow. This right here is a matter of life and death.

So far, she's been doing good. Well, all she's done so far was avoid his attacks, not that she didn't try to attack but it was the fact that she couldn't find an opening wherein she would not get caught by him. He sure knows how to wield his weapon—even gave it a few twirls around his fingers to make a statement. One wrong move and he could easily immobilize her, he wouldn't even need to use his dagger to kill her, a quick snap of her neck would do it.

She could hear the disappointment within the crowd, how the fight was too boring for them. 'I'm not here to entertain, I'm here to survive', she thought to herself. So, she's been careful—as cunning as a fox, ever so patient and focused.

"I've killed many men." Alekki said as they circle each other, each of them not letting their guard down. "Nobles, wives, husband...a child. Whoever it is I've been asked to take care of, but..." he smirked and she felt like throwing up. it looks like he was more than just a champion to the late king. He was his personal assassin. "I've never once killed a queen."

"And you never will."

The cunning bastard used that quick response as his opportunity to lunge at her, so quick he almost tore her arm muscle. The crowd cheered, suddenly awake from excitement. Alekki chuckled, clearly doing it to entertain.