9 - The One He's Walking To

Start from the beginning

Distracted by my boyfriend,  I didn't fully process when Mia told our team, "I'm going inside. We have to get the package."

Mia didn't even wait for me to say anything before she slipped into the crowd of people entering the museum. Oh no, I thought. This was not part of the plan. The package was supposed to be delivered outside. I didn't run a security detail inside. I had no access to the cameras. We had no exit routes inside. I was supposed to make the call of whether she should go in or not, but I lost focus. She was right, the priority was the package. We couldn't be reckless about getting it. Should I head down? This would be a hell of a report to write.

"Leo, move in. We have to keep eyes on the package at all times," I ordered. I paced back and forth in front of the window. 

"Please don't get murdered in there," I mumbled with a clenched jaw. This is exactly why I prefer to work alone.

Joe's POV

On my way downtown, I received one final message from Natalie. She instructed me not to engage with her contact. After the paparazzi incident this morning, she was concerned that I might be recognized. On top of that, with us being a rogue two person operation, we didn't have the resources to fight any surprises from the CIA. They could have a grab team waiting for me for all I knew. A dead drop was our safest option.

My ride dropped me off a few blocks away from the Country Music Hall of Fame. I walked around, checking out the numerous bars, gift shops, and alley ways to familiarize myself with the area. I mentally came up with a few escape routes. The streets were crowded but not packed yet which meant it would be easy to blend in and move quickly. 

At 15:00, I stood on the street corner of near the hall of fame. I scanned the plaza to see if I might have been followed. When I decided that it was clear, I headed into the museum. The cool air conditioning felt nice compared to the summer heat outside. I approached the reception desk with the device clasped in my hand.

"Hello," I greeted the woman sitting behind the desk.

She gave me a big smile. In America, I couldn't tell if people smiled at me because they're usually that friendly or they liked my accent. "Hello, sir. Welcome to the Country Music Hall of Fame. What can I help you with?"

I placed the small device on the counter. "I think this must fallen out of someone's pocket. It seems valuable."

We both stared at it sitting on the counter for a few seconds before she receptionist picked up the device and turned it over in her hand. "Mmm, yes. We will keep it here in case anyone comes looking for it. This is where we direct guests for lost items."

"Great."

"Is there anything else I can help you with today?" She asked me.

"I'll get one ticket to the museum," I told her. I wanted to check out the museum since Taylor told me about her exhibit here. Also, if anyone was keeping watch over this building, I had to make it look like I was a patron. If I came in and left immediately I might look suspicious. 

When she handed me my ticket, I thanked her and stepped aside. I pulled out my phone to send Natalie a quick message: Dropped at reception desk.

I found a bench far enough away from the desk that I wouldn't be noticed unless someone was looking for me but close enough that I could still clearly see people coming in and out. I was relieved to be free of the device. Until Natalie's source came to get the device, I wasn't completely in the clear. 

A few minutes later I saw a young woman with wavy light brown hair approach the reception desk. The same receptionist who I talked to handed her the device. The girl hardly looked at it before dropping it into her purse. She turned around and walked out just about as quickly as she came in. The same man who walked in a few seconds after her followed her out. They must be a team, I concluded.