7 - Fit Like a Daydream

Começar do início

Taylor and I switched places, so she could finish getting ready in the bathroom. The thing was, I knew exactly who texted me. I couldn't believe I had been so careless to leave my phone out. She shouldn't have ever contacted me at my personal number but to be fair, I never really checked my work phone. The message was urgent. I needed to call back but wasn't sure when I would get a chance to talk without Taylor around. This couldn't wait until she had her work meeting in the afternoon.

I glanced at the bathroom door and figured Taylor would take at least another 10 minutes to get ready. Enough time to make a call. I slipped out of her bedroom and into the first empty room I saw. Come on, pick up. I anxiously waited, listening to each ring and hoping I wouldn't get her voicemail.

"Hey!" Natalie picked up in her ever cheerful voice. "I'm excited to see you this afternoon. It's been way too long. We're still on right?"

"Hey Nat. I've missed you too. Can you tone the excitement down just a few notches?" I joked. I lowered the volume of my voice in case anyone was around. "I don't have much time to talk. I'll be downtown in maybe another hour. Taylor will be out for a work thing around 3:30 this afternoon, but I know we have to meet up before that."

"Could you meet briefly on your way downtown? There's a coffee shop I know that will be on your way."

"Yeah, I can make that work."

"How are you feeling? You know about this whole situation."

"Well, you kind of put me in a tough position. Nothing about this has been easy. It's been stressful to say the least, and you're the only person who gets what is going on," I confessed.

"Joe, I'm really sorry to have put you in this position." Her apology was genuine.

"I mean it is what it is. Someone always gets screwed over. By the way, Taylor saw your message."

"Oh," the energy left Natalie's voice. "Well, I'm going to say that's on you for getting sloppier," she came right back at me. "You never check messages on your other phone."

"Yeah, yeah. I've got to go," I said checking the time. "I'll see you in an hour."

I raced back to the bedroom after I hung up. I was relieved to see that Taylor was still in the bathroom. She stepped out a few minutes later wearing light makeup and a fuchsia summery dress.

"How is it that you look so stunning in everything?" I smiled at her. "Do you mind if we pick up coffee before going back to your place?"

"Yeah, that sounds great. I could definitely use a caffeine boost before work."

We said our goodbyes to Taylor's parents and headed downtown for the rest of our time in Nashville.

I pulled the car into the Crema parking lot right on time. "I can grab it. You stay in the car, and I'll be right back." I practically jumped out of the car before Taylor had a chance to argue with me. I hurried into the coffee shop relieved that there weren't many people around.

I was waiting in line at the cash register when I felt someone slip something into my pocket.

Then, a woman's voice said, "I was getting worried that you would back out and wouldn't show." I would recognize that British voice anywhere. Natalie.

"I've always shown up," I replied without looking back. I advanced in the line.

"You know this is different. We both have a lot at stake if people find out what we're doing," she said calmly.

I nervously pulled at my shirt. "You don't need to remind me." I knew I had a lot to lose, including Taylor.

"Grab some napkins after you order," she instructed.

I picked up the two drinks and headed over to the counter on the side. I looked around to make sure we couldn't be seen from any outside windows. Natalie's gaze met mine. It was a relief to see a familiar face in an unfamiliar city.

"I wish we didn't have to meet like this," I mumbled.

"We don't have any other choice. But, it is good to see that you're well. She doesn't suspect anything?" Nat asked referring to Taylor.

I answered honestly. "No, if she does she hasn't said anything."

"Good. Truthfully, I don't know how much longer we'll be able to keep this up. I feel like we are running too close to the fire, and we're bound to get burned sooner rather than later."

"Believe me, I feel it too. It's a dangerous game, but it's worth it."

"Love makes you do crazy things," Natalie told me. "I'll see you soon, Joe. Hopefully we can meet again under different circumstances."

If it was possible, my heart felt heavy and happy at the same time as I left the coffee shop.

"That took longer than expected," Taylor commented when I passed her coffee to her.

A lie came so quickly to me that it just flowed out of my mouth naturally. "They ran out right before I got in. The morning rush. I had to wait while they brewed a fresh pot." It wasn't the first time I'd lied to her.

"Mmm," she savored her coffee with a long slow sip. "Well, thank you for picking it up."

We arrived at her apartment across town a few minutes later and rode the elevator in comfortable silence to the top of the building.

Taylor set her stuff down and began turning on some lights. "This is it. My Nashville apartment."

I looked around, taking in every detail of her place. "Wow this is impressive." I stopped in front of the floor to ceiling windows and took a sip of my coffee.

Taylor walked toward the sliding glass door leading outside. "We can sit on the balcony if you want."

"That sounds lovely."

We had only been outside for about 15 minutes, relaxing and sipping coffee, when Taylor's phone started buzzing like crazy.

"Must be a crazy day at work," I casually commented.

Taylor's face went from surprised to concerned in a matter of seconds.

"What is it?" I asked now worried that something was terribly wrong.

She replied in a hushed voice as if someone would overhear her, "Can we move inside?"

We grabbed our drinks and moved inside.

"Are you okay?" I wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

She shook her head no. "They know about us."

"Who knows?"

"Everybody." She turned her phone, so I could see. There we were in photos taken moments ago comfortably sitting on the balcony with each other. Whoever took these pictures was set up from quite a distance but had a lens powerful enough to see us on Taylor's balcony several stories up. Paparazzi pictures circulated rapidly, so all the popular media outlets had already begun speculating about us. Taylor's fans were also losing their minds with excitement. I didn't have any fans who were deeply invested in my personal life like Taylor's were.

We had been doing so well. She was right, secrecy would now be nearly impossible. Everything just got 1000 times more complicated.

--
What do you think Joe is up to??? Hope you enjoyed the longer update. Don't forget to vote and add the story to your library to get updates. ALSO I can't believe we get this eighth album!! Such a surprise. Which song is your favorite so far? I honestly love the entire album.