Chapter 23:

(Alex's POV)

"Minho!" Thomas shouted, filled with relief. "Are you okay? What about everybody else?"

Newt came through then, followed by Frypan. Then Winston and others.

Every last one of us were covered in Griever sludge and human blood, our clothes ripped to shreds.

 "Well—let's go," Minho answered.

After a minute or so of walking we walk past a lab with computers and monitors.Trying to ignore the dozen or so bloody corpses that were lying around. The lights were flickering, shards of window glass lay everywhere, frayed electrical wires draped from the ceiling, and dried blood caked the floor.

I walked over and pressed a button on the small monitor.  A screen popes up.

A woman, an actual grown-up who seemed very ordinary, wearing all white spoke up.

 "If you're watching this that means you have successfully completed the Maze Trials. I wish I could be there to congratulate you in person but the circumstances have prevented me. I'm sure by now you must all feel very confused, angry, frightened. I can only assure that everything that's happened to you; everything we've done to you; is all for a reason. You won't remember but the sun has schorched our planet, billions of lives lost to fire; famine, suffering on a global scale. What came after was worse. We call it the flare. The flare is a deadly virus that attacks the brain and is incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive this virus, suddenly there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The yound would have to be tested, even sacrificed inside harsh enviroments where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to see what makes them different. You may not realize it but you're very important. Unfortunately your trials have only just begun and as you'll no doubt see and discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared; it may be too late for us; for me but not for you. The outside world awaits.''

Then the woman pulled out a gun and place it to her head. I gasp and Thomas in one swing he turned me around and pulled me into his chest, hiding my face. I jump with fright to the loud sound of a gun firing.