Fun in the Rain

I’d never thought I’d enjoy being stuck in the rain.

The thunderous sound of rain hitting the bleachers echoed in my ears and it was pouring before I knew it.

What started as faint droplets became endless rain clouds in a matter of minutes.

The humidity in the air coupled with the rain was undoubtedly a doomed combination,

Destined to ruin my hair, I thought.

I gasped audibly as droplets came down on us, soaking our clothes completely through. I could feel the squish in my socks before I had the chance to retrieve the umbrella from my backpack.

It was practically pocket-sized, not to mention a tacky blue and green, but it became my best friend that day.

Unrestricted laughs erupted from our mouths as we held onto the umbrella, squeezing as close together under it as we could.

Nearby strangers sought relief under our canopy of hope, ultimately ruining our chances of adequate shelter, but we’d already been soaked at that point.

We fought them off still, wrestling away from them as we cackled.

It wasn’t until claps of thunder rang out that the game was canceled, sending everyone inside.

Our minds then registered our damp belongings and we tugged them on, launching ourselves down the bleachers at lightning speed.

The laughs didn’t subside until we’d made it inside.

Wet shirts clung to our bodies like second skins, but that didn’t seem to bother us so much.

This was going down in history. For once, the rain wasn’t so bad.