He didn’t spare a second glance before turning, his demanding presence attracting the attention of most people in the room while he took his leave. The three of you left behind began to follow, and you glanced towards Hope with an anxious expression, “Is he implying I have to take this examination?”

The young man returned your glance, flashing you a quick and polite smile, “Not in the same sense as everyone else. We’ll be focusing on trying to coerce your abilities into action today.”

You let out a relieved sigh, “Good, because I’m afraid I don’t even know if I can fight.”

“Aw Hell, [Name]! The way you flipped Ventus yesterday has me thinking you’ve learnt how to fight.”

You turned to Yuffie, shaking your head with an apathetic shrug, “Even if I did, does it really mean I can fight now?”

“Well, we’ll find out soon enough. If we’re going to get any sort of reaction out of you, we’re going to have to put you into a situation that has you under immense pressure.”

“Ah, and you had me optimistic for a moment there.”

Hope’s smile turned into an apologetic one, “Sorry. There’s really no other way to go about it, since our abilities are activated by mental stimulation.”

“Don’t worry too much about it, [Name]. We’ve all had to go through it, and it’s not like we’re going to slice a limb off or anything.”

“Okay, now you have me worried.”

Hope gave Yuffie a disapproving gaze, “Yuffie, just leave the explaining to us Assistants. Please.”

“Alright, fine, geez. Shoot a girl down for trying to help, why dont’cha.”

You let out a small chuckle, slowing to a stop behind Ansem as he activated the lock on the door before you all. The metal door swirled open, and there was no hesitation as Ansem walked into an elongated hallway, the mouth opening up to a wide room, something you could liken to a high-tech coliseum. You eventually halted at the edge of a high railing that consisted of thick glass paneling. Yuffie and Hope flanked either side of you as you watched the group of fighters in the arena, recognizing them all in a heartbeat.

“We do this to analyze the combat style of each Key, and to give advice on how to better their individual styles. We can assume who will work better in a team and assemble them to suit particular missions.”

You nodded absently, a smile taking your expression as you watched the people down below flit about in combat. Lightning, Vanitas, Tifa, Zack, Axel and Demyx were giving their all on the field, everyone adorned in plated armor that reminded you of something out of a sci-fi videogame. It was breathtakingly exciting, watching them avoid strikes and counterattack with a variety of abilities. Lightning and Zack had been paired off, from what you could see, and the two were throwing punches and striking swords, sparks flying between the two grinding blades, Lightning occasionally shooting off a bullet. Your eyes slid over to Tifa and Vanitas, the latter striking with an odd blade that was embellished with black gears and cogs. Tifa was blocking a lot of the attacks with her forearms, where her armor thickened exponentially when compared to the others. It must have been to accommodate her style, you thought. Just as you were about to glance at the last two, though, the glass in front of you was engulfed with flames. Letting out a quiet squeak, you lurched back, accidently falling into someone else.