'i'll tell ya how.' he said, pointing up, 'we have something they don't. air power! we control the sky. that's something the fire nation can't do. we can win!'

teos dad walked up to us, 'i want to help.'

'us or them?' i said, ready to push the old man back with my staff but aang stopped me and smiled at him,

'we'll need it.'

we went into his office, thinking about how we were going to go about defending the temple.

'we finally got the war balloon working, thanks to sokka.' said the man, 'this boy's a genius!'

'thank you. you're a genius!' said sokka

'thank you!'

sokka carried on, 'see, the problem with the old war balloon was you could get it airborne, but once you did, it just kept going. you could put a hole in the top, but then all the hot air would escape. so the question became, how do you keep a lid on hot air?'

'ugh, if only we knew.' sighed katara, sarcastically, and me and aang laughed.

'a lid is actually the answer. if you control the hot air, you control the war balloon.' said sokka, demonstrating with a smaller model.

'hmm that's actually pretty smart.'

'okay, we've got four kinds of bombs. smoke, slime, fire and...' began sokka, before teos dad finished his sentence,

'... stink. never underestimate the power of stink!'

---

we readied our supplies and waited on the terrace, nervously anticipating what was to come.

'they're coming!' shouted a little girl from the crowd.

teo looked round at us, 'are we ready?'

'yes, but where's sokka with the war balloon?' katara said worriedly.

'we'll have to start without him.' aang said, jumping off of appa.

we walked over to ledge and jumped off, gliding down to the fire nation soldiers who were marching up the mountain.

we dipped below the clouds and began throwing our bombs at the soldiers.

a man barked a command at them and they lowered their spears, getting ready to throw them at us.

we bombed them and aang jumped onto an air ball - he knocked snow off the mountain and onto the infantrymen, encasing them in it. he jumped back on his glider and many of the soldiers ran back down the mountain.

'we've got'em on the run! we need more slime!' he yelled.

we glided back up above the clouds and took slime from katara and appa.

i ducked back under the clouds and almost got hit by a metal claw from a tank.

instead, i clicked my glider closed and swatted it away, knocking the tank down the mountain.

i went back up to drop some bombs on the tanks - but they did nothing.

the tanks advanced up the mountainside, finally making it to the plateau just below the temple.

i jumped off my glider and battered a tank with air, just as aang was doing the same.

nothing was working.

everytime we pushed a tank back, they would just go forward again.

suddenly, katara dropped down to where we were.

i shielded her from fire blasts as she froze the ground by the tanks - finally breaking them.

she managed to break two tanks before we were overwhelmed.

appa jumped in front of us and tossed two tanks aside.

we jumped onto him and took off, surveying the battlefield.

landing in the terrace, we looked over the plateau, seeing the impending doom of the temple before us.

'we're out of bombs!' cried teo.

'come on, sokka, where's that war balloon?'

and, as katara said that, the war balloon rose from out of the temple.

the balloon dropped bombs all over the troops, not being hit by the fire nation because of the insignia that was on it.

then they dropped something else down.

but it wasn't a bomb - it was their fuel source.

and they didnt drop it on the fire nation - they dropped it in a crevasse.

we looked over the edge and watched as the explosions began.

we ducked behind the railing and hid as they got near us.

when they finally stopped, we looked over and saw the fire nation troops were retreating.

but the war balloon was going down - fast.

aang sprung into action, bringing sokka and teos dad back to us completely unharmed.

we congregated on the main terrace, congratulating everyone.

'you know what?' said aang, 'i'm really glad you guys all live here now. it's like the hermit crab, maybe you weren't born here, but you found this empty shell and made it your home. and now you protect each other.'

'and even if it's not the way id like to remember this place looking, im happy that it's being used for something so amazing.' i said, smiling at them.

teo looked at aang, 'that means a lot coming from you.'

and, yet again, i had disappeared from teo and his dad's realities.

crazy how that happens.

'aang, you were right about air power.' said sokka, pointing to the sky, 'as long as we've got the skies we'll have the fire nation on the run!'

we cheered but i couldn't help but notice teos dad looking guilty.

we wouldn't have the skies for long.