40- Up In the Air

A few weeks after JJ and I had finally made up, the summer was coming to a close. The past weeks had felt so normal that it was hard for me to remember what it felt like when JJ and I were fighting. To be fair, it's not like I wanted to remember. 

At the close of every summer, the fair came to town. It was a long-honored Pogue tradition to spend the entire last day of summer at the fair. I was really excited for this year, because I knew that it was going to be different than every year in the past had been. JJ and I were together, and I knew that we were going to have a blast. I was hoping that we would be able to sneak away from the group and have a bit of time alone.

"Paisley, what the hell is taking you so long? We're just going to the fair, not the fucking Met Gala," I heard JJ shout. 

I rolled my eyes, chuckling as I yelled back, "Patience, damn. Looking this hot takes time."

My door opened and JJ entered my room, plopping down on the bed.

"No offense, but you literally look the same as you do every single day, and it never takes you this long to get ready," JJ remarked. 

"You wouldn't notice a difference because you're a guy," I said, turning to face JJ. "I'm trying something new with my makeup."

JJ rolled his eyes. "Like I said, you literally look the same as you always do."

I shook my head in playful annoyance as he continued, "And that's definitely not a bad thing."

He crossed the room to wrap his arms around my waist and nestle his chin in the crook of my neck. He examined my reflection in the mirror and said, "I guess you do look kind of different."

I gave him a satisfied smirk. He kissed my cheek. "Can we please go now? You look great," JJ said hurriedly, pulling the makeup brush out of my hand and setting it down on the vanity.

I sighed and turned to face him. "Fine, you win." I placed a gentle kiss on his lips before grabbing my phone off of the counter and heading toward the door.

JJ shoved past me and bolted out the front door as he shouted, "I'll race you to the van."

I rolled my eyes and threw my hands up in disgust. "What a child," I muttered under my breath. 

"You're annoying," I shouted after him.

I heard a faint, "I love you," in response.

Once we all bought our wristbands, John B herded our group over to some ride that looked absolutely awful. It looked like a long-ass toothpick with a cage on each end.  I kind of had a fear of heights, and this ride intensified that fear. I looked at my brother and said, "If you think I'm getting on that thing, you're fucking insane."

John B chuckled and said, "JJ and I rode it last summer, and it was so much fun." 

JJ nodded in agreement, reaching for my hand.

Sarah and I stepped back at the same time. I grabbed her hand and started running in the opposite direction. "We're going to get something to eat. We'll catch up with you later," I yelled, turning my head to look behind me. 

As Sarah and I walked toward flock of food vendors, she started asking me questions about how things were going with JJ and me since we had gotten back together. 

I responded happily, telling her that things finally felt like they were getting back to normal. 

After Sarah and I spent a little bit of time wandering around the fairgrounds, I heard someone shout my name in the distance, and I heard pounding footsteps running toward me. 

I turned around to see JJ and my brother coming toward Sarah and me. "We were looking all over for you guys," JJ said, winded.

Sarah and I chuckled, and I said, "I'm surprised that you didn't think to look over here first."

"Well, maybe we're just stupid," John B said in response.

"Yeah, I think that's it." I laughed softly.

JJ lightly grabbed my hand and whispered, "I have something that I want us to do."

I looked at him and said, "If it's a scary ride, I'm going to kill you. And then I'm going to breakup with you. For real this time"

"It's not scary, I promise," JJ responded, unclasping his hand from mine and holding up his pinky. 

I linked my pinky with his. "Okay, lead the way." 

He grabbed my hand and dragged me off into the chaos. 

After walking for a few minutes, we stopped in front of the Ferris wheel. I made eye contact with JJ and shook my head. "You know I'm afraid of heights."

"Paisley, I really want to do this with you. There's a really nice view of the entire island from up top."

"I'm actually really scared," I responded. I knew it was stupid, but I'd had an irrational fear of heights since I was little, and JJ knew that.

"I'll be right there next to you," JJ said sincerely. 

I sighed and said, "Fine," because I knew he wasn't going to give this up. 

A mere ten minutes later, we were on the Ferris wheel, slowly climbing upward. 

My heart felt like it was going to beat out of my hand as I clenched JJ's hand.

"Pais, my hand is going numb," JJ said with a chuckle.

"Shit, I'm sorry," I said, loosening my grip.

JJ let go of my hand and put his arm around my shoulder. As he did so, the cart started shaking slightly, and I let out a gasp.

"You're okay," JJ said soothingly, gently stroking my shoulder. 

I took a deep breath and rested my head against his shoulder. "It is really pretty up here." 

"I knew that you'd enjoy it once you calmed down," JJ said knowingly.

"I hate when you're right," I said, rolling my eyes. 

We sat in silence for a few minutes before JJ broke the silence. "I can't believe that we have to go back to school in a few days."

"Ugh, don't remind me," I said, raising my head up to meet his eyes. 

"Do you think things are going to be different for us once we go back?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, puzzled. 

"Well, people are probably going to think less of you because you're dating me. I mean, I don't exactly have the best reputation," JJ responded timidly.

"JJ, I don't give a shit about any of that. I love you and that's all that matters. You make me happy, and I couldn't ask for anything more." 

JJ smiled at me. "I love you too, bug." He gently grabbed my chin, bringing my face closer to his. He leaned forward slightly, gentle brushing his lips against mine. 

Below us, the lights from the fair glistened against the ocean was it calmly beat against the shore. 

I knew this year was going to be different. Good, but different. The Pogues were finally back together. Cheers to senior year.