14- The Call

The next day was pretty normal. JJ and I both had to work, and surprisingly, we both got off at the same time. JJ took the van and told me that he would come pick me up as soon as he left the bait shop.

I was waiting outside of The Wreck when I saw JJ pull up. I opened the van door and slumped down into the passenger seat without saying a word.

"Hey, how was your day?" JJ asked, although I was pretty sure he already knew the answer.

"It sucked so bad. It's definitely tourist season because everyone I waited on today was a complete asshole." I sighed.

"I'm sorry, bug," JJ said sympathetically, grabbing my hand. "I have to deal with that same shit at the bait shop, and this time of year is the absolute worst. Tourists are a bunch of pretentious assholes who think they're better than everyone else. I'm sorry that you had to deal with that bullshit. It pisses me off to think that people treat you like shit."

I gave him a grateful smile. "It's nothing I can't handle. I'm tough," I said, giving him a wink.

"That's true. You're one of the toughest girls I know," he joked.

When we got home, I plopped on the couch, laying down. JJ lifted my feet up and sat down. "What do you want to do for dinner? I can go pick something up if you want."

"Let's just cook something here. We have a ton of food that we need to use."

"Okay, do you want me to try to do it? I know you're really tired," JJ said.

"JJ, you and I both know that you can't cook for shit," I said, slightly sitting up to look at him.

"I know, but I thought I could at least try," JJ replied.

"I appreciate it, but I can do it." I stood up and headed for the kitchen. JJ followed me and sat down on one of the stools at the kitchen counter.

"Pais, will you please let me at least help you," JJ begged.

"Actually, that would be really nice," I responded.

JJ stood up and came over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"JJ, get off," I said, shaking his arms off of me.

"Well damn," JJ said jokingly.

I kissed him lightly on his lips and said, "Sorry, but I'm starving."

I preheated the oven and told JJ to grab the pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and the dough.

The dough was premade because I'm too lazy to actually make my own. I floured the counter and started to roll out the dough. While I was doing that, I told JJ to grate the cheese.

He started opening random drawers around the kitchen. "What the hell does a cheese grater even look like?"

"JJ, you're such a dumbass. It's literally right there," I said, walking over to the drawer he was looking in and pulling it out.

"Right, I knew that," JJ responded.

After we assembled the pepperoni pizza, JJ went and sat down on the couch while I put it in the oven.

I went into the living room and said, "I have a headache," as I laid down with my head in JJ's lap.

"Do you want me to rub your forehead?" JJ asked.

"You'd be my new favorite person if you did," I smiled up at him.

He started rubbing my forehead with his thumbs as he said, "What? I'm not already your favorite person?"