35- As It May Be

In the days that followed, I was weighed down by a pit of dread in my stomach.

Almost a week after JJ paid off his restitution, I pulled Sarah and Kiara into my room. My voice quivered as I said, "I need to talk to you guys about something."

Looks of concern crossed both of the girls' faces. Kie's eyes widened and she whispered, "Are you going to break up with JJ?"

I shook my head in response. 

"Paisley, is everything okay?" Sarah asked. 

"Umm...I don't know," I responded vaguely. Both of them sat and waited patiently as I collected my thoughts. "Guys, I think I might be...well, my period is, like, a week late, and JJ and I...well, you know..."

Sarah's jaw dropped. "Paisley, you think you're...pregnant?"

"I really don't know," I responded, my eyes welling up with tears. "My period is never late, and this is really weird."

"Have you been having any other symptoms?" Sarah asked. "Like, have you been feeling nauseous lately?"

"No, not at all," I told them.

"You have to tell JJ," Kie said seriously.

"I don't even know for sure, though," I said timidly.

"Then take a test," Kie responded sharply.

I had been feeling stressed for the past week and Kie's harshness pushed me over the edge. Tears started pouring down my face and I started violently sobbing.

Sarah wrapped her arms around me, trying to get me to calm down. She muttered, "Everything is going to be okay."

"No, it's not," I said loudly, through my tears. "JJ is going to be furious. He might even leave me."

"Shh, no he's not," Sarah said gently. I could see her glare at Kie for being insensitive.

"I just need some time alone to think," I told the girls, laying down and turning my back to face them.

They quietly exited the room, and I was left there alone, shuddering with each new wave of sobs that came.

I tried to fall asleep, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't do it. I felt like I laid there for hours and hours and just cried and cried until I had nothing left.

I was unsure of how much time had passed when I heard my door slowly open and then click shut. JJ laid down in front of me, facing me. Without saying a word, he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest.

"I thought you were working," I mumbled, letting out a sob.

He kissed my forehead and said, "I just got off. Sarah told me I should probably come in here and check on you." He hugged me tighter when I let out another sob. "Hey Lovey, what's wrong?"

I shook my head and buried it deeper into JJ's chest.

He lightly rubbed my back with the palm of his hand and said, "Take your time. Tell me when you're ready."

"Thank you, JJ," I muttered.

After a little while, I lifted my head and looked into JJ's eyes. He brought one of his hands to my face and brushed my tears away, pressing a light kiss to my forehead.

I let out a shaky sigh and began talking. "JJ, my period is almost a week late. I think I might be pregnant."

His expression didn't change as he said, "How do you know you're just not off schedule or something?"