Chapter 19: Traitor

The parking lot at the club is busier than usual when I arrive. It's not the usual day when the men train in the field nearby. I hurry up and gather my bag from the back of the car. When I enter the club, I find some of our teammates, Cooper and Rose included, sitting at the bar area and sporting worried looks.

"Is everything okay?" I ask as I set my bag down on a table.

"The board is meeting right now to decide the fate of the club," Rose says.

"But... I thought we had more time!"

"We thought the same," Rose stands up and paces the room. "I spoke with Bobby, my Dad, and pleaded to him if he can help us. We can turn this place around. This is our club and that magnificent bitch can't ruin it for us!"

"Who are you talking about?"

"Willow, who else?" Cooper says without lifting his gaze from the top of the bar.

"But Willow left the team. How is she involved in this?"

"Well, guess who's the newest member of the board?"

The few ladies standing around let out a collective gasp and I feel shocked. Did she know all along what's playing? Was it her plan all along to sabotage the team's reputation? I try to talk but the words seem stuck in my throat.

"Rose..."

Rose catches my intention and motions for me to follow her outside. We walk towards the fence at the edge of the field and in the distance, sitting on the bleachers, I see a group of people.

"Look at her, the little traitor queen," Rose points at the group with her nose and I spot Willow sitting among the men.

"How long has she been on the board?"

"Since the beginning of the season. At least that's what my dad told me. He thought we knew about it."

"She kept it well hidden. What will happen now? Are they really cutting us off from everything and kicking Cooper out?"

"I hope not."

The group stands up from the bleachers and begin to walk towards the club. Rose and I hurry back inside and find Cooper in the exact same position we left him in.

"It will all work out," Rose says to him in a soothing voice while caressing his arm.

Cooper doesn't answer. We wait patiently for the people of the board to return and when they do, a man asks Cooper to come to the office for a private chat. He also asks Bobby to join them and Rose stirs in her place, looking impatient.

"Crap, now I'll have to wait until they are done to find out what happened."

"What exactly did you tell Bobby?"

"Pretty much everything that we planned at Myrtle's. We only need one chance, that's all."

Willow enters the club and ignores everyone as she walks towards the door that leads to the parking lot.

"Thanks for the flowers!" Rose shouts at her back.

Willow stops momentarily at the door but doesn't turn around, then leaves.

"The flowers... She sent them?" I ask and Rose nods.

"Another of her brilliant plans to cause confusion. She made a mistake this last time, she delivered them herself and forgot there are security cameras everywhere in the mall."

"Why would she do something like that?"

"Who the hell knows for sure? Jealousy I guess. She never liked how close Cooper and I got."