Chapter One

Chapter One

        It's a sunny day here in St. Louis. Usually we get a lot of rain here after the 4th of July. I'm here in my home watching the news program with my mom. It shows President McCleary giving a speech about the violence in the riots happening after Micheal Brown was shot by a white police officer in D.C. I honestly hate hearing about the riots happening just outside my front door.

        "I hope this new police officer is not convicted. It is very obvious that the black man pulled a gun on the police officer. What do you think Rebbeca?" My mom asks me. I give a sigh, "Yeah, I mean there is going to be more riots and they might come to this part of town again and try to burn down our houses. Maybe Andrew will come up of a way to tell the president a good way to stop the riots." I say reffering tomy older brotherwho is a Nuclear Engineer for the U.S Government. When the doorbell rings. "I got it." i say and get up from the couch. I walk to the door and open it to reveal Lucas.

        "Hey Lucas!" I say surprised that he would show up. I could have sworn that he was out of town. "Hey Becca." He tells me shyly. He is a really shy guy around girls. "Do you want to play Cops and Robbers?" He asks as my little brother Tom comes running down the stairs chanting "I want to play! I want to play!" I chuckle as i watchhim come down the stairs in his brand new Nike shoes. "Sure" I say still laughing. "As long as Tom gets to play." I wink knowing Tom is just going to run around the neighborhood screaming "You'll never catch me Lucas!" Lucas just grins and we walk out as Tom goes screaming about never being caught.

        I look at Lucas longingly. I have had a crush on him since I first met him five years ago. He seems to like me back once shcool had started that year when I was a year younger than him. As I look at him, he has his hands behind his back and looks at the ground as if it is the most interesting thing in the world. I turn to look up at the sky to see a small rocket going towards the center of the city.'Is it a firework? Not possible. It is letting to much exhaust out to be a firework.' I think as I see it start to decend into the city. I grab Lucas's hand instinctively and he looks at me. I am speechless for what I just did so I point to the sky to the rocket and Lucas's eyes widen in fear as he realizes what the rocket is, a nuclear weapon. 

        I immediately remember the fort Lucas and I built out of rocks and dirt and I grip his hand tighter and sprint in the direction of it. We reach the little dirt mound in a matter of seconds and we get in. 'Wait, where is Tom!?' I look at Lucas with a worried expression and get out just in time to see Tom running towards the little hut. 'Thank the lord he knew what is happening. Andrew must have played Call of Duty with Tom and taught him this kind of stuff.' I grab Tom's hand and put the makeshift rockdoor back in place just as the ground shakes vigorously. Little Tom screams a girl scream and I reach over to where Lucas and I stored some flashlights and batteries and food. I grab a flashlight and flick it on. Tom stops screaming and hugs me. Lucas grabs my hand and squeezes it. 

        "I fot that was just anover firewok." Tom sobs into my chest. "It's okay little Tommy. The Government should know what to do." I say trying to sound as cheerful and genuine as i could. Mom and dad are probably dead though. I am just glad that Lucas and Tom got safe here with me. Maybe mom and dad found shelter just in time. 

        I look at Lucas and see his face covered in tears. Maybe he was thinking exactly what I was thinking, 'Our parents are dead.' 

        I start to hear screaming and the crackling of fire with gunshots fired. I start to slowly rub Tom's small back with my free hand. Whatever we do, we must not go outside of this fort. The radiation could damage us. I remember reading a book about a girl who lived in Japan and when she was a baby, the U.S sent Hydrogen bombs at Japan and she was no where near the radiation from it but she got Lukemia from radiation. a sad book as I recall. 

        "Lucas," I say and he looks at me. "We are not to go outside at all costs. You hear?" He nods as if the world just fell on top of him as it ended. Tom keeps sobbing into my chest as I rub his back to sooth hisworries that he might- no, the worries that he does have. "What is goin to happen to mommy and daddy?" He asks me looking up at me. I look at him with tears in my eyes. "I-" I start to say something. Lucas gives me a look that says "Tell him the truth, they are most likely dead." I give a sigh and make myself eye-level with my younger brother in this very cramped space. "Tommie..." i sigh. "I think Mommy and Daddy are dead." I say softly as the tears run down my cheeks. "But don't you dare go try to find them. The air will kill you." i say more sternly. Tom only nods.

             "You should go to sleep Tom." Lucas says in a croaking voice. Tom nods and lies down his head on my legs. Lucas grabs my hand and squeezes it tightly. "We are going to get out of here safely." Lucas tells me. "Oh Lord, please help us get out safely." Lucas chants softly with his eyes tightly shut. I start to think about what my older brother Andrew is doing. Probably in a bunker somewhere in Washington with the president. thinking about what kind of bomb just went off. I want to see what happened outside and if anywhere else was hit, but like I told Tom, the air could kill me. I decide it would be best if I went to sleep as well. I lay my head on Lucas's shoulder and drift into memories of my past without raging fires and people screaming for their lives.

      A/N

This is dedicated to @SarahPerlmutter because she wrote the amazing book 'The BLAST'. Very proud to say this is the very first "TheBlast" fan-fic on WattPad! You can also visit the very first "The BLAST" Instagram page @we_are_deathless .

To the right i have what @SarahPerlmutter beleives is "The BLAST" theme song and a picture of Rebbecca (or above if you read this on your phone). Hope you enjoyed!