8: Return

I snap my eyes open in a frenzy and look around at my surroundings. For a minute, I have no clue where I am. But then I remember everything that's happened and tears begin to stream down my cheeks.

Then I hear an engine outside my room turn off. Half a minute passed and the front door opens up. I know this means they're home. I praise myself in my head for not trying anything stupid. I'm not going to risk anything once I saw what was in that closet.

There's a knock on the door. I look up at it. It begins to open and Billie walks in. She walks over to me and sits on the edge of the bed.

"Hey," she says. "Thanks for not trying anything. I didn't want to hurt you, but I will only if I have to. Do you need some water?"

I nod my head. Billie leaves the room and returns from the kitchen downstairs with a small water bottle. She grips the edge of the tape and quickly rips it off. I immediately open my mouth and she begins to slowly pour the ice water down my throat. I enjoy every drop.

Billie begins to untie me. I begin to stretch when I'm free, but I'm not going to try to escape. My back feels sore; I groan. My bladder feels like it's about to burst.

"Thanks," I say. "Is it okay if I use the restroom real quick?"

Billie nods.  I run down the hall to the bathroom and quickly do my business. When I return, Billie's sitting on the edge of my bed, scrolling through her Instagram. I sit next to her. She's watching a cat video where they try to jump long distances but fail terribly. I chuckle a little when one tries to jump over a baby gate.

"I remember my mom showed me that one when I was younger," I say out of nowhere. "I really miss her." I look down at the ground, knowing how much I really miss her. Billie exhales softly.

"I'm sorry," she says. "I really didn't want to take you away, but we had to."

"But — but why?" I ask. "Why'd you have to take me?"

Billie looks me in the eye and takes a shaky breath. 

"It's going to be a long story, babygirl. Get yourself comfortable."