17: Confession

Aubrey's POV

I wake up just as the sun's rays are streaming in through the bedroom window. I lift my head up from the pillow I was sleeping on. No, it wasn't a pillow. I gawk as I realize I had slept with my head in Billie's lap. My face goes red. This is literally the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to me. Period. End of discussion. Only God knows what's happened; what if she thinks that I was — no, I'm not going to go down that road. That's gross. But what if she thinks that? I'll be even more embarrassed than I am right now! When she wakes up, I need to apologize to her.

As if on cue, she wakes up and lifts her head off of the headboard. When she looks at me, my face goes as red as a tomato.

"I am so, so sorry!" I say nervously. "I didn't mean to — I wasn't — um . . ."

"Hey, don't worry about it!" she says. "You were comfortable, and that's all that matters. Okay?"

I nod, relieved that she's nod angry at me. "Okay. I thought if you woke up with my head in your lap, you would've thought that I was . . . well, you get the idea."

She chuckles. "No! I have pants on right now, goofball! It's impossible for me to think that. You're fine! Breathe!"

I take a deep breath. "Okay. I do have a question for you." She perks up, giving me her full undivided attention. "Last night, you called me 'my love.' What did you mean by that?"

"Uh . . . I didn't say that!" she lies. I raise an eyebrow. "At least, I don't think I did! Did I?" I nod. "I must've been talking in my sleep or something like that. Well, I'm going to go shower! Bye!"

She stands up. I grab her wrist and pull her back down. "You are lying to me, and you know you are." She breaks eye contact, fiddling nervously with her rings. "I'm going to ask you one final time. Did you call me 'my love?' Yes or no?"

She groans. "Yes! Okay? I called you 'my love!' I didn't mean to say it though; it slipped out. I was thinking it, but not meaning to actually say it!"

I think for a few seconds, confused at this point. "Why were you thinking it, though?"

"Um. I really don't want to tell you. You're going to hate me if I do."

"I'm not going to hate you!" I say. "Just tell me! I swear I won't hate or make fun of you."

"Okay, but if you do, I told you so." She takes a few deep breaths — a few of them sounding like she's about to cry — before speaking. "Aubrey, I think I like you."

Wait, what did she say?

"I know it's wrong since you're only fourteen, but I can't help it. You're wonderful. I love you so much, Aubrey."

So let me get this straight. Billie over here kidnapped me, her brother killed my parents, and now she confessed to having feelings for me?

There's a bunch of crazy people in this place — and I am not one of them.

"I — what?" I ask, feeling shocked. "You — what?"

"I know. I'm sorry. Please don't hate me."

I literally don't know whether I should be hating her or not.

"Billie —?"

"Oh, forget it!"

I start to ask her what that means, but she moves forwards and gently places her lips on mine. I freeze, not knowing what on earth to do. I guess she really does have feelings for me! She pulls away, shaking her head.

"That was stupid of me to do," she says quietly. "I'm sorry."

She stands up and rushes out of the room. I turn towards the doorway and hear her softly crying.

What the heck just happened?