Irritating Invader.

Alec's POV

"I still don't understand. How can Shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes." Clary snarked as she stomped back into the institute. Her worry had quickly dissolved into misplaced anger. 

This girl was a walking ball of attitude and demands and right now I wanted to throw her out the doors we'd just come through. I understand that her friends had been taken but acting like a brat wasn't going to get her anywhere. 

"Because we protect humans." Isabelle tried to explain with a level of patience I wouldn't have gotten close to. 

Izzy had a big heart, full of kindness, patience and love but she was also a fierce warrior and Clary was lucky she had someone like Isabelle on her side and yet, she continued prove just how ungrateful she was. 

"You're right. Humans. You protect humans. You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock." Clary insulted rudely and I felt my jaw tense as I watched the disheartened expression flutter onto my sister's face. 

She already felt bad enough, Clary didn't need to make it worse. 

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense... by the way, you do recall it wasn't just Simon that was abducted, right?" I baited but the red-headed invader simply glared at me. 

"Alec, not now." Izzy snapped and I rolled my eyes, head falling back against the brick wall behind me. 

I know I had a stern disposition, I wouldn't argue that, but my worry over Amara's safety was making me more irritable than usual. 

If anyone asked, I would deny it but the truth was, Amara had gotten under my skin. She had made me care about her in under a day and right now I didn't know what she was going through, if she was alone and scared, or if she was even still alive and it was eating away at me. 

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon or Amara. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it." Jace voiced and Clary immediately looked to him as if his words were the eleventh commandment. 

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that? What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, "Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone". What am I supposed to do now?" Clary's frustration was evident, her hands waving around her dramatically. 

Why was everything she did so incredibly annoying?

"We have to report to the Clave," I stated adamantly and everyone seemed to deflate at the words. Yes, it was annoying and having to hear about the clave every second of every day was infuriating but it had to be done. 

"Great." Jace scoffed and I narrowed my eyes at him. 

"They have to know we've learned about Valentine." I retorted but it seemed to be an absolute waste of time, no one was listening to me. Jace hadn't listened to a word I'd said since Clary's arrival and whether he realized it or not, it was causing a strain.