Chapter Sixteen

Izzy's POV 

I knew all about what happened between Alec, Clary and that necklace of hers, and I also heard about their very heated argument about a particularly beautiful Banshee. 

After it all went down, it took Jace barely five minutes to seek me out and spill the tea like a prepubescent girl. I don't know what entertained him more; watching his Parabatai and Clary go head to head or the fact that Alec was very clearly falling in love with Amara. 

Not that I could blame him. 

There was something about that fair-haired lass that just pulled you in. It was nearly impossible to not like her, what with her charming disposition, her encompassing love for Simon, and her knack for making everyone feel special. 

Walking her home the other day showed me what an amazing person she was. Sure, I noticed her caring heart as soon as I met her, but Amara made me feel so accepted and welcomed. It nearly made me cry. 

I couldn't remember the last time that I had a friend outside of my family. It wasn't for lack of trying because I did. I tried so hard to make friends with the other women around the Institute, especially growing up, but I was always pushed away. 

Before I could dive any deeper into those self-pitying thoughts, a mop of red hair perched on the bench caught my eye. 

Even from a distance, I could see how upset the Fairchild girl was, and I could help but feel sorry for her. It must've been difficult to constantly hit wall after wall when in an attempt to save someone you loved. 

This time, that wall was Alec, and he was pretty immovable.  

"There you are. Are you okay?" I asked, sitting beside her as she raised her head, tears glittering in those pretty hazel eyes. 

Clary was a beauty too. There was no question about it, which is why I think Jace was so taken with her. She was strong, just like he was, and determined to do the impossible without hesitation, and I could see how much that appealed to Jace, but Clary wasn't the only one that caught his eye. 

That wasn't something I was going to reveal, though. 

Jace was definitely the strongest Shadowhunter in the Institute, that wasn't even a question. He had overwhelming raw potential, to begin with, and a tenacious vigour that made him exceptionally talented, but Alec was different. 

Alec was refined and graceful; he moved like water and air. There was something lethal about him; there was something lethal about how fluid and calm he was during battle, but if he found out about Jace's... affections for Amara, I don't know how well that collected he would remain. 

I'd already glimpsed that hidden rage in the Hotel Demort, and I would be lying if I said it didn't shake me.

Love usually made people stupid, but in Alec's case, it made him dangerous. 

"...my mom. Then your brother-" Ripped from my thoughts, I turned back into Clary's words. 

"I heard. And believe me, there have been many times where I wanted to kill Alec... Look, I know my brother can be a real pain in the ass... but he means well. That necklace is very dangerous." I tried to soften my response, but I was on my brother's side. 

"I'll take the risk on my own," She retorted, and I sighed. She was definitely stubborn; I'll give her that. 

"The problem is, you're not on your own, Clary. You're part of us now." I explained, knowing that if Clary went off on her own, Jace would trail after her, then Simon would tag along, Amara not far behind and where Amara went, Alec was sure to follow, and where my brother went, I did too.