Chapter Twenty Three

Alec's POV

Pacing the room torched room, I tried to keep my mind from running through all the terrible scenarios that Amara and Simon could be in. Were they hurting her? Was she already dead? No! I refused to believe that there was a world where Amara didn't exist.

"Where is she? Tell me." I Heard Jace asked angrily and turned around, coming face to face with his furious face.

"She's gone," I admitted, assuming that he was talking about Clary, but my thoughts remained solely on Amara.

"What do you mean "gone"?" Izzy asked, trying to get some clarity, and I had to admit, I was feeling a little scrambled.

"She, Simon and Amara got arrested when I was securing the fire escape. I got distracted." I confessed, feeling an unimaginable amount of shame at my shortcomings.

"The mundane was here? Why?" Jace questioned, but the tone in his voice told me he didn't really want an answer to that.

"Simon? He's gone, too?" Izzy voiced up, sounding just as upset as Jace, but without the aggression or glaring.

"It was an unmarked car. I don't know where they took her." I offered, hoping that we could find something to go off. It wasn't much, but it was something.

"What did you do, Alec?" My parabatai snapped, and this time I glared at him.

"What do you mean 'what did I do?' Do you think I wanted this to happen? Really? The last I checked, someone I care for was taken as well, so don't act like you're the only one that's worried about them." I retorted heatedly, but Jace simply grabbed something of Clary's and took off out of the apartment.

I picked up Clary's bag with a sigh and followed after him, Izzy walking beside me supportingly.

***********************************************************************************************

Simon's POV

I don't think there will ever be a time in my life that I wouldn't worry about my sister. I wouldn't be able to stop protecting her or keeping her from danger, and selfishly, part of the reason for that is because I cannot live without her.

Amara has always been there for me. She has always been in my corner as a supporter, a friend, a bodyguard, a confidant. There is nothing she wouldn't do for me. She has never been able to tell me 'no', and I will be eternally in her debt for all she's done for me.

So, seeing her barely conscious with deep black and blue bruising encircling her neck broke my heart more than I could possibly express because some things cannot be explained. There are no words that could capture my emotions or the guilt I felt, and if I could turn back time, I never would have searched for Clary after her birthday.

I had been in love with Clary for years, and I cared about her deeply, but the truth of the matter was that Amara was my best friend. She was my sister. My family. We were bound in a way that another could never understood.

"Where are we? This isn't the police station." Clary's question broke through the emotional storm raging in the pit of my stomach.

"Just cooperate and everything will be fine," Alaric suggested helpfully, but it didn't sound like a suggestion, and it wasn't reassuring.

"Get out!" The man, whose name we discovered was Theo, shouted, but I ignored him, trying to pull Amara into my arms as carefully as I could.

"We didn't do anything wrong." I snapped back once I had a firm hold on my sister. If he thought that I was going to let her go without a fight, he was sorely mistaken.