2 0

Shivaay woke up, completely startled, when he felt a hard smack on his thighs

Shivaay woke up, completely startled, when he felt a hard smack on his thighs. It was, of course, his darling wife, who now had both her legs on him. Every so often, he wondered how she was capable of having a sound sleep in the wackiest ways possible. His lips quirked up involuntarily. He reached for his phone and checked the time. There were seven more minutes for midnight, but he had no plans of waking Annika up. She wouldn't sleep if woken up, and he wanted her to rest well for tomorrow. She must have felt him move because she immediately stirred in her sleep, mumbling something. She was drooling a little, and Shivaay took up tissue to wipe it off. He heard her mutter his name, and it sure did something to his insides.

Almost a year ago, around the same time, he remembered how he wasn't able to sleep. He had too much in his mind that night. He was wondering if he was making a mistake marrying Annika after all she was only 19. He was young as well, and he'd never even imagined he'd be married by now. However, as he looked at sleeping Annika, he couldn't help but feel happy. He missed his grandfather every day, but he acknowledged how his grandfather gave him Annika before he left as if he knew.

He gently caressed her hair. She looked like an innocent baby who has never faced the brutal world outside, who was never hurt, and who never knew what pain was. She was precious, and he vowed to himself that he would stand by her no matter what. His phone vibrated, and he shut it. He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead,

"Happy Anniversary, sweetheart."

*

In a trice, glaring light hit Shivaay's face, and he pulled up the duvet. He felt someone shake him.

"Shivaay, WAKE UP. Rise and shine. The morning's here," Annika yelled into his ear, and he sat up.

He struggled to open his eyes, and when he did, he glowered at her. But she took him into surprise when she placed a sloppy kiss on his cheeks.

"Happy Anniversary, Shivaay! Time to have some breakfast in bed." Annika pushed the service cart near the bed. She was wearing a black apron, and Shivaay thought if she'd added a chef's hat, she would have qualified for a five-star butler. The sun probably had risen in the west because Annika was very chirpy early in the morning. Seeing her happy made his heart swell twice its size. He stood up, and Annika immediately pushed him. He looked at her, puzzled. He did not know what was on her mind-

"Breakfast IN bed, Shivaay. Where are you going?" Annika made a face at him, and he muttered an 'Oh.' He straightened himself, concealing any kind of expression that may present itself on his face. His brain wasn't functioning properly without a cup of coffee- he thought to himself.

"I need to brush, Annika, and there is no way I'm brushing in bed." He tried not to smile when Annika scowled at him.

When he returned, he saw Annika plating the food and struggling to give it a professional look. She was trying to arrange the salad in what Shivaay could make out as a smiley face. He took the plate from her and motioned her to sit. She shook her head and made him sit on the bed.